Boosting Immunity with Senior Care in the Alameda, CA Area
Our immune system plays a very important role in our bodies. Cells and organs work together to fight diseases or infections. That’s why, especially considering the COVID-19 pandemic, we must focus on making our immune system work the best that it can be. Today, Visiting Angels of Alameda is here to provide you with tips to help Alameda seniors maintain their immune system. Within the tips, we will also inform you of the many ways that our caregivers are helping their clients maintain healthy habits.
The Foundation of Quality Senior Care is a Healthy Routine
The decisions that you may each day help keep your immune system working smoothly. At Visiting Angels of Alameda, we believe that a healthy routine includes:
- Getting a good night’s sleep: There’s nothing like getting a good night’s rest, especially as you age. Seniors, in particular, need seven to nine hours of sleep each night. With the help of a Visiting Angels caregiver, your loved one can develop a nighttime routine that will lead to a satisfying slumber.
- Eating a healthy and balanced diet: Harvard Medical School suggests that eating a healthy diet rich in fruits and vegetables can boost your immunity. A Visiting Angels senior caregiver can prepare your loved one’s meals and handle grocery shopping for them.
- Quit smoking and drinking alcohol: Both smoking and drinking can weaken your immune system over time. These behaviors can also lead to serious health issues such as high blood pressure, mood disorders, and liver damage.
Reducing Stress Can Boost Immunity
According to the American Psychological Association, stress weakens the immune system. With the COVID-19 pandemic, you may be feeling more stressed than usual. Below are a few stress-reducing tips:
- Take care of your body: From physical health to mental health, now is the time to practice activities that make your body feel its very best. For example, meditation or taking daily walks can be great healthy habits to practice.
- Practice fun activities: There are a plethora of fun activities that we can practice from the comfort of our own homes. Activities like painting, reading a magazine, and playing board games can be fun ways to pass the time.
- If you need help, reach out: If the stress becomes too much to handle, there are many ways to gain more support. Therapists, for example, are allowing sessions through phone calls, video calls, or text messages. You can also reach the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration’s (SAMHSA’s) Disaster Distress Helpline at 1-800-985-5990 or text TalkWithUs to 66746.
Visiting Angels of Alameda is a senior care agency that’s dedicated to helping local seniors. If you’re interested in the senior care services that we offer, don’t hesitate to contact us at 510-269-2999.