Home Care Solutions in Albany, NY
Caring for Someone with Alzheimer’s in the Albany, NY Area
If a physician diagnoses Alzheimer’s, the more proactive you are in making decisions regarding home care solutions for someone with Alzheimer’s, the more you can manage the disease. Here are a few basic steps to help if you or someone you love is diagnosed with Alzheimer’s:
- Educate yourself about the disease. The more you know, the more you can be prepared. The Alzheimer’s Foundation of America and the Alzheimer’s Association are two great resources.
- Take care of financial, legal and long-term home care solutions. Discuss wishes related to future care and end-of-life issues.
- Employ cognitive stimulation. Listening to music, word puzzles and memory games can help and can provide a positive experience for the patient and caregivers.
- Arrange respite and/or regular professional care. Even if you are willing and able to be a primary caregiver for an Alzheimer’s patient, you will need help, if only to take a short break. Plus, it helps to introduce a professional caregiver while a person is still in the early stages of Alzheimer’s, because once the disease progresses it can be more difficult and upsetting to change routines. When looking at home care solutions, try to find a person who has Dementia Care Professionals of America training or experience with dementia care clients. Visiting Angels, for example, the nation’s leading network for quality, compassionate home care, is one local home care franchised agency that provides this training to its staff.
- Build a support system. Being a caregiver for someone with Alzheimer’s can be stressful and overwhelming. Find people to talk to, reach out for help, and always make time to maintain your own physical and mental health. Many local hospitals and departments of aging offer free support groups, along with sites like the National Family Caregivers Association) and Caring.com.
If you or your loved one has been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s or a related dementia, know that you are not alone. For more information or to explore home care solutions, call Visiting Angels of Albany or request Alzheimer's care here to learn more.
Serving the Capital District
Visiting Angels ALBANY, NY125 Wolf Road #503-1
Albany, NY 12205