Dementia Care in Cambridge
What You Need to Know About Wandering
When someone is suffering from Alzheimer's or dementia, they often lose their ability to recognize things that are familiar. This includes people and places, which can result in them wandering around and getting lost. At Visiting Angels® Boston, we offer in-home dementia care throughout Cambridge to help local seniors and their families cope with issues just like this.
The first thing to learn about wandering is how to spot the warning signs. Some of these include:
- Taking longer than normal to return from a walk
- Forgetting the directions to familiar places
- Mentioning former routines, i.e. going to work or school
- Restless pacing and repetitive movements
- Asking about people from their past
- Becoming nervous in public places
While it might seem like a simple mistake, wandering can be very dangerous for seniors, sometimes even fatal. When a loved one suffers from this condition it's important to get them the right type of support. With our dementia care, we can work with you to make sure they always have a kind, loving presence in their home in the Cambridge area.
About Our Dementia Care in Cambridge
Our professional support will help reduce the chances of a serious incident. We are ready to help them cope with all the issues of their disorder and live the most comfortable life in their own home. The benefits of our service include:
- Help to avoid issues with wandering and getting lost
- Medication reminders and other memory-help
- Assistance with household chores and healthy meal prep
- Relief for family care providers
- Reduced risk of falls and other accidents around the home
- And much more!
Kind and Loving Dementia Care You Can Trust
With our help, your loved one will have a professional caregiver around to minimize the risk of wandering and other effects of dementia. Along with our care, we encourage family members to educate themselves about this common issue and be prepared.
You can start by placing deadbolts on their front door to prevent them leaving in the middle of the night in a state of confusion. You can also place lights around the home to help them keep their bearings. We also recommend labeling the doors in their home to indicate their function. With all of these steps and the support of our experienced professionals, you can provide a safe, comfortable home life for your loved one with dementia. Our service area includes:
- And throughout the surrounding areas
To learn more about our dementia care in the Cambridge area, contact Visiting Angels Boston today and schedule your care consultation.
Serving Boston, Cambridge, Brighton and the Surrounding Areas
Visiting Angels BOSTON, MA1 Washington Mall
Boston, MA 02108