Five Nutritious Snacks Every Senior Should Keep Stocked in Santa Cruz and Monterey Counties, CA
Visiting Angels Central Coast provides personalized, one-on-one nutrition plans for seniors seeking an in-home care provider in Santa Cruz, Scotts Valley, Marina and surrounding areas in California.
In addition to a delicious meal, we suggest stocking your refrigerator and pantry with these five nutritious snacks every senior in Santa Cruz, Scotts Valley, Marina and surrounding areas in California should keep stocked.
Five Nutritious Snacks for Seniors
Almonds are rich in magnesium which can help lower blood pressure while providing protein for muscle and tissue growth.
Whole Wheat Crackers
Wholegrain crackers provide energy to active minds and bodies while being low in calories.
Yogurt is rich in calcium and vitamin D, which helps maintain strong bones and teeth while reducing the risk of certain diseases such as osteoporosis.
A flavorful spread, hummus is high in proteins and fiber, which can help keep your stomach feeling full for hours.
Our local favorite, almonds provide healthy monounsaturated fats, which help lower cholesterol and heart disease risk.
Good nutrition is a vital part of staying healthy as you age. It may help you stay in shape, boost your energy and supply you with the nutrients you require. Studies have shown that it also lowers your risk of chronic illnesses, such as heart disease and diabetes.
Strategies to Keep Seniors Eating Well
There are several strategies to help seniors maintain a healthy diet while their appetites might decrease:
- Chew Your Food - Aim to chew each bite of food at least 30 times and avoid bolting down your meals.
- Keep Meals Balanced - To add flavor to a healthy meal, use spices and herbs rather than salt. Be sure to include a source of protein, carbohydrates and healthy fat with each meal.
- Reduce Salt Intake - Minimize the amount of sodium you eat by avoiding canned foods, commercially prepared meals, processed foods and fast foods.
- Eat Smaller Meals - Dietitians recommend that seniors eat 5-6 small meals a day rather than large, infrequent meals to satisfy their hunger.
- Eat Regularly - Eating regularly can help prevent you from getting overly hungry and overeating. For example, try to eat breakfast within an hour of waking up, lunch around noon and dinner at 6 pm or 7 pm.
- Eat Healthy Snacks - Make sure your refrigerator is stocked with healthy snacks such as fresh fruits, vegetables, nuts or seeds to eat between meals.
- Avoid Empty Calories - Many beverages are packed with empty calories and should be avoided if you're trying to lose weight. Try drinking water instead of milk or juice and have a cup of coffee or tea without added sugar.
- Limit Alcohol Intake - Alcohol contains many calories in a small amount of liquid, so limit yourself to only one drink per day.
- Do Not Skip Meals - Skipping meals, especially breakfast, can cause you to become hungry earlier in the day. Eating a healthy meal every 3-4 hours can help you feel satisfied.
The Role an In-Home Care Provider from Visiting Angels Central Coast Can Play in Keeping Seniors in Santa Cruz and Monterey Counties Healthy
As an in-home care provider, we often hear that the seniors we serve are not feeling hungry enough to eat. Many of our clients have suffered previous health issues or have a family history of health problems.
It's essential that seniors maintain a proper diet to stave off health risks such as malnutrition and obesity. A nutritious diet can help seniors avoid poor nutrition conditions, including osteoporosis, diabetes and cardiovascular disease.
At Visiting Angels Central Coast, we believe seniors deserve to enjoy their golden years with good food and great company. However, sometimes seniors can't prepare healthy meals by themselves or eat out frequently at restaurants that serve healthy food.
That's why we offer our clients a range of nutritious snacks that are easy to prepare, easily transportable and suitable for seniors to eat.
Each month we visit our clients' homes and stock up on food products that combine four essential nutrients: protein, carbohydrates, dietary fiber and vitamins. We also include a healthy dose of fat to keep seniors energized.
We can provide clear directions on how to prepare the food and an inventory list of the ingredients so you can purchase the right items on your own.
If your loved one has a nutritionist, our in-home care providers can work with them on meal plans so your loved one can enjoy delicious meals that are nutritious and tasty.
These nutritious snacks can be packed in bags for easy transportation or wrapped in paper or plastic wrap for storage in the refrigerator until ready to serve. In between visits, we leave a selection of soups, meats, fish, vegetables, and fruits that can be prepared over the weekend or frozen when needed.
Whether helping with meal preparation, grocery shopping or medication reminders, Visiting Angels Central Coast has caring professionals in Santa Cruz and Monterey Counties. They can provide in-home care for seniors to keep them healthy and independent.
So what are you waiting for? Stock up on these healthy snacks before your next visit with your in-home care provider. Sweets, cookies and junk foods are best avoided by people who are healthy and vibrant. Why not focus on the health of your body instead of the weight of it?
To learn how our in-home care providers can help your loved one remain independent, call Visiting Angels Central Coast at 831-703-8974 to schedule a free in-home consultation!