Why Are More Millennials in Eldersburg, MD and Nearby Areas Becoming In-Home Care Providers?
Visiting Angels provides support and relief for family in-home care providers in Eldersburg, Westminster, Baltimore, Columbia, Ellicott City and surrounding areas in Maryland
As baby boomers age, many millennials (adults ages 25 to 40) have been thrust into the essential role of caregiver. Ten million millennials are the primary support for aging loved ones in the U.S. Approximately one in four family caregivers is a millennial, according to a 2018 American Association of Retired Persons (AARP) report.
Recently, COVID-19 made many millennials in Carroll, Howard and Baltimore Counties realize that their elderly loved ones needed assistance, and consequently, they assumed the role of caregiver. If this sounds like your situation, rest assured that at Visiting Angels Eldersburg, our in-home care providers can assist your loved one with personalized in-home senior care services while giving you an opportunity to focus on your own needs.
Millennial Caregivers Face Challenges
Caring for a loved one is universally difficult, but millennials encounter some unique issues:
- Stalled careers and delayed education
Millennials are less likely than older caregivers to be advanced in their careers, with less flexibility such as personal time off or paid family leave. This lack of seniority can leave many young caregivers feeling anxious or hesitant about discussing their need for a flexible schedule with their employer. Some may feel the pressure to delay a job promotion or discontinue taking classes toward their degree.
- Financial challenges
Although approximately 53 percent of millennial caregivers work full-time, one in three employed millennial family caregivers earns less than $30,000 per year. Also, a significant portion of their income, 27 percent, goes into caregiving expenses, far more than any previous generation of caregivers according to Millennials: The Emerging Generation of Family Caregivers.
- Strained emotions
While caregiving can be emotionally rewarding, it can also cause emotional turmoil. Most millennial caregivers experience significant stress and admit that caring for an elderly loved one has compromised their personal lives.
How Our In-Home Care Providers Can Provide Respite for Millennials Caregivers
Caregiver support networks are beginning to focus on millennials. Visiting Angels Eldersburg helps relieve the burden and enables them to focus more on their careers, education and personal lives without neglecting their elderly loved ones.
Visiting Angels Eldersburg offers these professional senior care services:
- Personal Care: We assist seniors with meal planning and preparation, light housekeeping, errands and transportation to appointments, mobility assistance, medication reminders and personal hygiene.
- Companion Care: We can fulfill your loved one's needs for social interaction and emotional support.
- Social Care: We help seniors utilize modern technologies like email, search engines, and video chat programs to stay in touch with friends and family.
- Memory Care: We provide in-home care for seniors living with dementia caused by Alzheimer’s or Parkinson’s disease, assisting with fall prevention, wandering prevention and sundown syndrome.
- Stroke Recovery Care: We can aid in recovery with personal hygiene, mobility, toileting and incontinence care and transferring and positioning assistance.
- Ready-Set-Go Home: We reduce the likelihood of hospital readmission by creating a transition plan to continue recovery at home.
- Respite Care: We, as in-home care providers, offer interim care to allow family caregivers a well-deserved break to relax and recharge.
For more information on how our in-home care providers support millennial family caregivers in Carroll, Howard and Baltimore Counties, call Visiting Angels Eldersburg at 410-324-6347.