Elderly Care Services in Eugene: Fall Prevention Tips from Our Team
While many elderly adults are able to maintain an independent lifestyle without major concerns, unexpected falls can impact even the most capable of seniors. The repercussions of falling down can have a serious effect on their quality of life. For those who are not injured by the fall, the fear of falling again may hinder their ability to fully enjoy life. Of those who fall, 1 in 5 will have a serious injury and may never completely recover from their injuries. The best way to prevent lasting consequences of falling is to be aware of risk factors and avoid incidents. Familiarize yourself with the common causes of falls for seniors such as unsteady gait, muscle weakness, vision changes, medication side effects, limited mobility and how they may impact your loved one. Elderly care services from Visiting Angels® Eugene can help your loved one with fall prevention.
How You Can Help Prevent Falls With Elderly Care Services in Eugene
Knowing your loved one's risk factors and taking preventive measures can help your loved one stay safe and continue to enjoy their independence. Visiting Angels Eugene OR is an experienced provider of elderly care services and we are devoted to help keep seniors safe. Some things you can do to help elderly loved ones avoid falls include:
- Make sure stairways have railings and hallways have enough light
- Install hand held shower heads and grab bars in the bathtub or shower
- Add extra light to darker areas of your loved one's home using nightlights
- Be sure shoes and slippers fit properly and don't have slippery soles
- Check new medications to see if they cause dizziness or loss of sensation
- Clear the floor of clutter such as electrical cords, loose rugs and papers
- Talk to your loved one's doctor about their fall risk
How Visiting Angels Eugene Helps
If you feel your loved one could benefit from additional support to help them avoid falls and manage daily tasks safely, consider elderly care services from Visiting Angels Eugene. Our compassionate caregivers are happy to lend a hand to daily activities.
Some of the ways we can help include:
- Walking and transferring
- Fall prevention measures
- Preparing meals & snacks
- Bathing and showering aid
- Bathroom trips and hygiene
- Dressing and grooming aid
- Light housekeeping tasks
- Going for walks & exercise
If you worry about your elderly loved one's risk of falling, call Visiting Angels Eugene today and ask about our home care services.