Signs Your Loved One in Eugene Might Need Home Care
There are many aspects of getting older that can make it difficult for seniors to maintain their homes and their health. This holiday season, as you make your way from one family gathering to the next, make it a priority to reach out to some of your older relatives to see how they're doing. Are they still completely comfortable living alone, or could they use the help of home care professional such as Visiting Angels® Eugene? Some seniors may be ashamed or embarrassed that they can't handle certain aspects of daily life, so you should also be aware of various signs that all isn't well at home.
What You Should Look For When You See Older Loved Ones
No one ages in exactly the same way, or faces the exact same difficulties when it comes to aging in place. However, there are still some common indicators that could hint at a loved one's unique personal struggles. Learning some of these indicators can help you and your family identify what needs to be done to ensure an elderly loved one's safety and ease at home.
If you're visiting an elderly family member where they live, some warning signs to look out for include:
- Dirt or stains on floors and carpets, and other indicators that your loved one isn't cleaning
- Clutter, especially in places that are typically clean
- Expired foods or the absence of healthy foods
- Mail or newspapers piled up unopened
If you're only going to see your loved ones when you're together at family functions, look for:
- Negative changes in their looks, like wrinkled clothes, dramatic weight loss, or an odor
- Stiff or uncertain movements, possibly requiring them to rely on walls or chairs for balance
- Difficulty following conversations or tackling simple tasks
- An apparent disinterest in or confusion about what's going on
Learn About Home Care from Visiting Angels Eugene
Visiting Angels Eugene provides home care services that range from mobility assistance to light housekeeping and friendly company. Our services are available for families in Eugene, Cottage Grove, Springfield, Junction City, and Pleasant Hill.
Concerned about an elderly relative who is living on their own in the Eugene area? Give Visiting Angels Eugene a call today to voice your concerns, learn more about home care, and to set up a free in-home consultation for your loved one.