10 Quotes to Make You Think Differently About Aging
From the first strand of grey hair to carrying a spare pair of bifocals with you everywhere, aging comes slowly but surely for us all. Aging is one of the most common fears–many fear losing stamina and health, autonomy, and even their hair. The fear of aging is normal and largely unfounded, as many modern seniors enjoy full, active lives. But one thing is for sure–everyone ages someday, and all the beauty creams in the world will not make any difference.
Fear of aging partially stems from the stereotype of seniors: grumpy, depressed, irritable, and angry individuals. Popular movies and media coverage reinforce these unfairly negative stereotypes.
If you ask the team at Visiting Angels Garland, Texas, you’ll find out how beautiful aging can be. With age comes wisdom; like fine wine, people get better with time. If you or a loved one are dreading their golden years, share these ten quotes about aging that will make you think differently.
Ten quotes to flip your thoughts about aging
Aging could turn out to be a beautiful phase of your loved one’s life if planned the right way. Surrounding yourself with family and friends, enjoying every day to its fullest, and accepting help ease the transition from middle age to senior citizens. The following quotes about growing wiser and older illustrate how old age is a wonderful stage:
- “Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional.” – Chili Davis
- “Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don’t mind, it doesn’t matter.” – Leroy “Satchel” Paige
- “The years teach much, which the days never knew.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “Learning is an ornament in prosperity, a refuge in adversity, and a provision in old age.” – Aristotle
- “Cherish all your happy moments: they make a fine cushion for old age.” – Christopher Morley
- “Getting older makes you no wiser, but a number of lessons are learned.” – Toba Beta
- “Wrinkles mean you laughed, gray hair means you cared, and scars tell you lived.”
- “Getting older is no problem. You just have to live long enough.” – Groucho Marx
- “When we age, we shed many skins: ego, arrogance, dominance, pessimism, rudeness, selfish, uncaring … Wow, it’s good to be old!” – Stephen Richards
- "Getting old is like climbing a mountain; you get a little out of breath, but the view is much better!" - Ingrid Bergman
Although cognitive function may decline in old age, psycho-social functioning–including wellness, quality of life, and happiness –eventually grows with age. In many cases, wisdom and empathy have increased with age, which helps elderly clients realize the value of life. We always recommend our clients and their families focus on the positives of aging and the wisdom and joy it can bring.
Strategies for Aging Well
Successful aging means staying happy and content with the phase of life you are living. Some strategies towards healthy aging are:
- Calorie restriction
- Low impact physical activity
- Brain stimulating activities
- Adequate socializing
- Positive attitude
- Participation in volunteer work
Each of these activities brings a purpose to your life. They keep you strong-headed and ready to deal with the challenges of life head-on.
Visiting Angels Garland: Helping Clients Age
According to UN Stats, older people are projected to double, reaching 1.5 billion in 2050. It is high time to create awareness in the societies that old age is an excellent part of life, creating contentment, happiness, and fulfillment. Our Visiting Angels Garland team is ready to provide multiple types of services to assist you and your elderly loved ones, including social care, companion care, and palliative care. Contact us today to learn more!