Dementia Care in Havertown: Early Signs of Dementia
According to the World Health Organization, over 47 million people are living with dementia worldwide. Dementia is a progressive illness which affects memory, thinking, behavior, and the ability to complete the activities of daily living. The most common form of dementia is Alzheimer's disease. The sooner you can spot the symptoms of dementia in a loved one and seek help from their physician, the better off they will be. Many families throughout Broomall, Delaware County, Main Line, Montgomery County, and the Philadelphia counties seek additional dementia care and support from Visiting Angels® Havertown PA. We are experienced at working with seniors who have dementia and we can help keep your loved one safe at home.
Signs to Watch Out For
There are many early warning signs of dementia. While some can also be signs of other problems, it is important to get your loved one checked out if you suspect dementia. Visiting Angels Havertown has experience providing dementia care to seniors and has identified the following list of potential warning signs:
- Poor spatial skills including distance and direction cause challenges when driving
- Dementia can cause poor judgment such as inappropriate clothing choices, lacking personal hygiene, and bad decisions with money
- Seniors with dementia can become socially withdrawn and lose interest in hobbies or favorite activities
- Dementia often causes mood swings and depression with no apparent cause
- Seniors with dementia may put objects in odd places, such as a tv remote in the refrigerator, and be unable to find it later
- Difficulty concentrating and difficulty working with numbers, such as balancing the checkbook, are common
- Adults with dementia may forget where they are and how they came to be there, or fail to recognize familiar places
- Language issues such as forgetting the meaning of words, inability to find the word you want, or trouble following a conversation
- Trouble completing everyday tasks such as preparing a meal or getting dressed
- Asking the same questions over and over due to inability to retain and recall new information
The Importance of Dementia Care for Seniors in Havertown
Dementia care from Visiting Angels Havertown can help improve the quality of life for seniors who are living with dementia. We can help keep your loved one safe and comfortable at home. We supply family members with peace of mind and provide a break for family caregivers. We can monitor your loved one and assist with daily tasks to make living with dementia more manageable.
Contact Visiting Angels Havertown today and inquire about our dementia care services.