Social Care: Helping Seniors Embrace Technology
Visiting Angels Lubbock understands that when providing elderly assistance, clients respond best to a holistic approach. We offer a holistic approach that cares for the individual both on the inside of the home and outside of the house. We use modern technology with our social care program to connect clients with their friends and family. The most used platforms with our clients are Facebook, Skype, FaceTime; we use most social media platforms to keep clients active and engaged.
Digital Tools Help Seniors Connect to Family and Friends
It can be challenging for seniors to adapt to digital social life, and many seniors are against it together. However, recent studies have shown the following emotional and mental benefits digital tools can have on the elderly:
- Surfing the internet can reduce depression in Seniors by 20 percent.*
- A University of Arizona study finds seniors who use Facebook showed a 25 percent improvement in mental “updating” skills - essentially improving their working memory.
- Another study shows seniors who visit social networking sites like Facebook have a positive emotional experience when measured by breathing rates, brain stimulation, and pupil dilation.**
Helping Seniors Stay Engaged Via Technology
Visiting Angels Lubbock’s at home elderly assistance services offers the Social Care Program; this program helps seniors learn to:
- Use a cell phone
- Text, send an email, Skype, or use FaceTime.
- Log in, shop online, or research information on a search engine.
- Create a Facebook, or another form of social media, page, as well as how to interact with family and friends on their account
* Washington, D.C. based Phoenix Center
** Journal Cyberpsychology, Behavior, and Social Networking
Serving Lubbock, Lynn, Crosby, Floyd, Garza, Hale, Hockley, Lamb Counties, TX
Visiting Angels LUBBOCK, TEXAS3223 S Loop 289 Ste 315
Lubbock, TX 79423