Handy Assistive Devices for Seniors with Alzheimer’s in McKinney, TX
These assistive devices can complement the at-home care that seniors receive in McKinney, Allen, Plano and Frisco, TX to help them manage Alzheimer's symptoms
Seniors who have been diagnosed with Alzheimer's are usually hesitant to admit that they need help, especially during the early stages. However, since this illness causes memory-related issues and makes independent living a challenge, your parent will need professional assistance in order to continue living at home.
Aside from hiring at-home care providers from Visiting Angels McKinney to provide professional Alzheimer's care, you might want to also consider using some assistive devices in order to ensure your parent's safety.
If your loved one has been diagnosed with Alzheimer's, their memory will be affected by this disease. They will have trouble remembering things about themselves and others, which is why some of these memory aids can come in handy.
- Reminders with sensors can play reminders for your loved one when they enter the room.
- A clock that gives your parent the date and time will help them remember what day it is. If your loved one uses a tablet or a smartphone, clock and calendar apps can be just what they need.
- Pill boxes with separate compartments for each day can help your parent remember what pills they need to take and when. You can also get an automatic pill dispenser that will provide your parent with the meds they need for the day. If you are afraid that your parent will skip their meds, you can get a dispenser that will alarm you every time that happens.
- Locator devices are useful in case your loved one often misplaces things.
Alarms and Sensors
Seniors with Alzheimer's are prone to wandering, so in order to increase the level of your parent's safety when you are not around, consider getting some of these devices.
- A tracking device can alert you or your loved one's at-home care provider when your parent has left their home, so you can act quickly. If your senior owns a smartphone, you can also install a tracking app on it.
- Fall sensors are also highly recommended since they will alarm you in case your parent falls someplace and tell you where your loved one is located.
Socialization can have a positive effect on your parent's well-being so make sure they are able to stay in touch with their loved ones.
- Make sure the important numbers pre-programmed on their phone, so they don't have to know them by heart.
- Skype and other video chat programs can help your parent stay in touch with their friends and family.
- If your parent has trouble communicating, install smartphone apps that allow them to express their feelings by selecting a word, picture or symbol.
Although there is no cure for Alzheimer's, some activities can help improve your parent's memory and help them stay comfortable at home. At-home care providers recommend that seniors with memory issues listen to music or radio programs, as well as play digital games and solve puzzles.
There are countless possibilities for assistive devices for seniors with Alzheimer's that can help supplement any at-home care they receive.
To learn more about our in-home Alzheimer's care services for seniors in McKinney, Allen, Plano, Frisco and surrounding areas in Colin County, contact Visiting Angels today!