Home Care Services For Active Seniors In McKinney, TX
Visiting Angels helps seniors in McKinney, Allen, Plano and Frisco, TX stay active and improve their health and well-being
The Benefits Of Being Active
The National Institute of Health states that inactivity is detrimental to health, even though it might seem like being active may increase the risk of injury. Visiting Angels McKinney incorporates active activities into our home care services.
“For the most part, when older people lose their ability to do things on their own, it doesn’t happen just because they’ve aged,” the NIH said. “It’s usually because they’re not active.”
The U.S. Surgeon General’s Report on Physical Activity and Health (https://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/sgr/olderad.htm) said that being active can help:
- You live longer and reduce risk of falling
- Decrease the risk of heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes and colon cancer
- Increase strength and stamina for those with chronic conditions
- Improve well-being and get rid of anxiety and depression
- Muscles, joints and bones by relieving pain caused by arthritis
Improving Health and Outlook
Family caregivers often feel guilty about not giving enough support to their loved one to be active, or being unaware of how to do so.
If you have questions about how we incorporate active activities into our care plan during our initial meeting, do not hesitate to ask. Health and outlook will improve if you just know how to give the proper support.
During our initial free home visit, we are more than happy to discuss your and/or your loved one’s interest of how we include active activities into our home care services. We then incorporate those interests into your loved one’s plan.
Four Areas of Activity
There are four areas of activity that you should encourage your loved one to partake during our visits (https://go4life.nia.nih.gov/4-types-exercise). These activities can be done with help from our caregivers who are providing the home care services and will greatly improve day-to-day functioning.
- Endurance: Make going up the stairs and shopping less challenging.
- Strength: Build muscles to more easily carry things and keep up with grandchildren.
- Balance: Create a stable base and lessen the risk of a fall. Aging adults often worry about falling, as one in four fall every year.
- Flexibility: Bend over and reach high places easier by being limber.
Remember that staying active is much better than sitting around doing nothing. It’s a good idea to encourage your loved one to start now, regardless of your loved one’s previous activity level.
We provide a daily log to keep track of you loved one’s daily activities.
Contact Visiting Angels McKinney to learn about how our home care services can increase activity into your loved one’s day.