How Senior Caregivers Can Help Older Adults in McKinney Safely Engage in Spring Activities
Elderly adults in McKinney, Allen, Plano and Frisco, TX, can safely enjoy the spring activities they love with the help of senior caregivers from Visiting Angels
Sunny, warm spring days in McKinney, Allen, Plano and Frisco, TX, simply call out for various recreational activities and many older adults just can’t wait to spend more time outside after a long winter, enjoying their favorite pastimes and soaking up some vitamin D. However, if you are a family caregiver, there are some precautions you might want to take to ensure Mom or Dad is safely enjoying their spring routines. Visiting Angels McKinney can help you and your loved one enjoy fun spring activities with these essential home care tips.
How Senior Caregivers Help Older Adults in McKinney Enjoy the Spring
Here are some ideas on how to tackle these issues, compiled by your local senior caregivers:
- Some aging adults face constant losses – loss of a spouse or a close friend, hearing loss, loss of a driver’s license, loss of mobility and other health concerns — and when this happens, they often perceive isolation as the solution. Seniors start declining social invitations, avoid going outside, and spend much of their time indoors, which is no good. If you noticed this pattern in your loved one’s behavior, try to speak openly about their concerns and anxieties and be sensitive. The solution to their problem may be a simple home modification or hiring senior caregivers from a respectable agency who can provide transportation and accompaniment.
- Injuries caused by falls present one of the most common health concerns to older adults and the vast majority of falls happen when seniors are alone. Even though you cannot be around your loved one’s home all the time, do not discourage them to engage in some of their favorite outdoor activities based on your worries alone. If Mom likes working on her garden or Dad loves tinkering in the garage, don’t make these areas off limits. Instead, consider bringing senior caregivers who can visit your loved one when you’re unavailable, provide valuable company, and work along with them, making sure they are safe.
- One of the most widely spread spring activities in annual spring cleaning. This is a perfect chance to get rid of some excess clutter from your loved one’s home, fall-proof key areas, and improve overall safety around the house. Make sure to inspect patios and the back yard, too.
- Staying well-hydrated is not a health concern reserved only for the summer months. Remind Mom or Dad to drink plenty of fluids, especially when going out. The National Institute on Aging recommends seniors drink a glass of water every time before going outside.
- Consider consulting with local senior caregivers if your main concern about Mom or Dad engaging in spring activities is connected to living alone. Experienced professionals can share valuable advice and provide assistance and companionship, granting you peace of mind that your loved one is safe and looked after even when you’re not there.
You’ve addressed all these issues? Go ahead and spend some quality time with Mom or Dad and enjoy the spring. Some senior-friendly activities the two of you might find interesting are:
- Arts & Crafts
- Walks or low impact exercises in parks/playgrounds
Opt for assistance from a local home care agency like Visiting Angels McKinney if your loved one needs more support for these activities than you can give. Professional caregivers can help your loved one lead a healthy lifestyle and enjoy the spring days ahead.
To learn more about our home care services for seniors in McKinney, Allen, Plano and Frisco, TX, contact our McKinney office today!