Parkinson’s Communication Techniques in McKinney, TX
If you have a loved one who suffers from Parkinson’s, you are well aware of the symptoms. A few of the most common symptoms are involuntary trembling and difficulty walking. Communication becomes a problem for those with Parkinson’s, which can be troublesome for loved ones as well. It won’t be easy, but there are ways in which you can improve communication with your loved one if you learn about elderly home care services, know what to expect and how to handle it.
Parkinson’s is an individualistic disease, so the effects can differ between people. The area that is usually affected the most is speech, which will often be accelerated or hindered by a stutter or weaker tone. Nonverbal cues are also a problem for those with Parkinson’s. Hand gestures and facial expressions likely won’t be very effective in conversation with your loved one.
Paying attention will be another issue as well, which can make conversations increasingly difficult. Your loved one may have trouble comprehending your words so patience is key. Visiting Angels McKinney caregivers provide elderly home care services to ensure that your loved one is receiving the care they need.
Maintaining a close bond with your loved one can be accomplished by adopting these approaches:
- Concentrate. Focus on the conversation and make strong eye contact. Sit down so both are eye-to-eye. Avoid groups if possible.
- Clarity. Be clear when you change topics. Refer to your loved one by name, not a pronoun. Do not ask open ended questions and speak simply.
- Good timing. Medication will determine how responsive your loved one is. Talk to them when the right time arises.
- Let him/her speak. Your loved one may find it difficult to find the words to say and interruptions may be irritating. Let him or her finish the thought.
The challenges that Parkinson’s presents can cause both you and your loved one to feel alone. In that case, looking into elderly home care may be the best option. There are also a few other professional options to consider:
- Professional care. Taking care of your loved one can be exhausting and may require rejuvenation. Hiring a professional to make home visits could allow you a break.
- Speech therapy. A speech therapist should be met with upon initial diagnosis to make proper assessments on speaking and swallowing capabilities. Speech can be further improved as well.
- Physical therapy. This options is for those who still desire to use computers and writing utensils.
It is important to watch your stress levels as you are caring for your loved one. Reach out for support and further assistance if need be. Know about the disease and inquire often.
Call Visiting Angels McKinney to learn about our elderly home care services for families in McKinney, Plano, Allen and Frisco, TX, and how we can help your loved one feel safe and comfortable in their own home