The Health Benefits of Swimming for Seniors in McKinney, TX
Swimming is a fun and stress-free way for seniors in McKinney, Allen, Plano and Frisco, TX to get their exercise and improve their well-being. Our personal care assistants can accompany your loved one to pools, community centers and other places so they can swim on a regular basis.
Swimming is one of the best senior-friendly ways to get enough exercise, boost overall health and have plenty of fun at the same time. If you are a primary caregiver for a senior loved one, you or a personal care assistant from Visiting Angels McKinney should consider encouraging them to visit the local pool more frequently.
How Can Swimming Benefit Seniors?
Here are some of the reasons why swimming is an ideal exercise for your senior loved one:
- The ability to do more with less – One of the main reasons why any personal care assistant from a respectable home care agency would highly recommend swimming for seniors is because exercising in water is not as strenuous and weight-bearing as running or working out at the gym. Additionally, the buoyancy of water makes swimming ideal for those looking to improve their joint issues or chronic conditions such as arthritis.
- Increased muscle tone – To make things even better, swimming is a form of resistance training that can help your loved one tone their muscles and build up strength and endurance.
- Improved flexibility – By going to the pool regularly, your Mom or Dad can greatly add to their flexibility. This way, swimming may also help improve their balance and reduce the risk of falls.
- A healthier heart – Regular aerobic activities such as swimming promote blood circulation and strengthen the heart, reducing the risk of numerous heart diseases.
- Weight control – It is certainly no surprise that swimming is one of the best calorie burners around. Water activities can help your loved one maintain their ideal weight without having to engage in over-strenuous regimens. Swimming can complement a healthy and nutritious diet, helping your loved one stay at a healthy weight. In addition to taking your loved one to the pool, our personal care assistants can also assist your loved one in preparing delicious and nutritious meals.
- Reduce asthma symptoms – If your loved one is living with asthma, swimming in a pool can help them increase their lung capacity and breathe easier. What is more, the moist air at a pool can be very beneficial in preventing asthma attacks and reducing the symptoms of their condition.
- Improved cholesterol levels – Swimming helps keep cholesterol balance in check, makes arteries more flexible, and decreases the risk of vascular and coronary issues.
- Lower risk of diabetes – Diabetes is known to be strongly linked with excess weight. A personal care assistant would like to point out that with swimming and water exercises, your mom or dad can kill two birds with one stone, so to say – maintain a healthy weight and greatly reduce the risk of developing diabetes.
- Decreased stress levels – Another thing that should not be overlooked when it comes to swimming is that it is sheer fun. Although not similar to regimes such as yoga or meditation, swimming can produce the same effect, which is relaxation and relieving stress.
- Your parent can live longer – Last but not least, swimming may boost your loved one's longevity. A longitudinal study conducted at the University of Carolina found that those who swam had a lower death rate by a staggering 50 percent than people who ran or walked for exercise, as well as those who did not engage in physical activity.
Visiting Angels McKinney can be your partner in care. Our personal care assistants can help your loved one get to local pools and community centers so they can incorporate swimming into their daily routine. Whether your loved one enjoys swimming at the Juanita Maxfield Aquatic Center, the Apex Centre or the McKinney Senior Pool, you can have peace of mind knowing that someone will be there with them to encourage them to participate in regular activity to improve their well-being.
Call our McKinney, TX office today and learn more about how our personal care assistants can help your loved one elevate their independence and quality of life. We are here for your family!