Alzheimer's Care: Travel Tips from Visiting Angels Hartford
If your loved one in Hartford, Farmington, New Britain, Wolcott, Newington, or the surrounding communities has been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease, traveling with him or her can be a challenging experience. While some seniors in the early stages of dementia can travel well, others become overwhelmed very quickly. Read on for some travel tips from our Alzheimer’s care providers at Visiting Angels® Hartford.
Our Alzheimer's Care Tips for a Safer Trip
It’s important to provide your loved one with the best Alzheimer's care both at home and away. Here are a few measures Visiting Angels Hartford suggests you should take to ensure your loved one’s safety and security while traveling:
- Bring relevant Alzheimer’s care paperwork. Before you depart Hartford, make copies of important documents like an updated medical history, a list of your loved one’s medications and allergies, an emergency contact list, and legal documents. Keep copies in your bags and also place relevant medical and contact information in your loved one’s wallet or coat pocket.
- Take precautions against wandering. If your loved one is out of his or her typical environment and away from their Alzheimer's care routine in Hartford, he or she may be driven to wander off. Be vigilant about keeping an eye on your loved one. In addition, make sure that he or she is wears an identification bracelet. Finally, take a moment to register with MedicAlert® + Alzheimer's Association Safe Return®.
- Limit disruptions to your loved one’s routine. While it’s impossible to keep your loved one’s Alzheimer's care routine the same as it is at home in Hartford, do what you can to minimize disruptions to his or her daily routine.
- Plan for additional travel time. Be sure to add buffer time into your travel itinerary so that you don’t have to rush if something unexpected comes up.
- Carry a daypack with essential items. In addition to carrying your loved one’s Alzheimer’s care paperwork, it’s a good idea to bring along toys or activities, water and snacks, and an extra change of clothes.
- Notify emergency contacts of your travel plans. Write up a detailed travel itinerary that you can give your loved one’s emergency contacts so that they always know where you plan to be.
Help ensure that your loved one in Hartford, Farmington, New Britain, Wolcott, Newington, or the surrounding communities is receiving the best Alzheimer’s care possible. Contact Visiting Angels Hartford today for more information about our Alzheimer’s care program for elderly adults in the Hartford area.