Boosting Immunity with Senior Care in the Wayne, NJ Area
In the fight against illness, our immune system is our first line of defense. As a result, maintaining the immunity of our elderly community is key in diminishing the chance of contracting COVID-19. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) report that older adults, as well as those who have serious underlying health conditions, are at a high-risk for developing serious complications from COVID-19. Today, the senior care professionals at Visiting Angels of Wayne are here to inform you and your loved one of the important ways to boost your immunity.
Senior Care Immunity Tips from Visiting Angels
Establishing a healthy routine is an important part of building a strong immunity long-term. To develop a healthy routine, include the following factors:
- Stay hydrated: Seniors are more vulnerable to dehydration than other adults. By age 80, seniors have 15% less water in their bodies than they did at age 20. To ensure that they stay hydrated, a caregiver from Visiting Angels of Wayne can remind them to drink water throughout the day.
- Getting a good night’s sleep: No matter your age, the importance of sleep remains true. Older adults in particular need seven to nine hours of sleep each night. A Visiting Angels caregiver can help your loved one develop a comforting nighttime schedule that they can look forward to each day.
- Maintaining a healthy diet: Harvard Medical School suggests that eating a healthy diet rich in fruits and vegetables can boost your immunity. A Visiting Angels senior caregiver can handle daily meal preparation and go grocery shopping, to help your loved one practice social distancing.
How Seniors Can Reduce COVID-19 Stress
The COVID-19 pandemic has brought fear, anxiety, and stress to the Wayne community. Below are a few stress-relieving tips from the senior care professionals at Visiting Angels of Wayne.
- Take a news break: Hearing COVID-19 updates throughout the day can be tough on your mental health. Be sure that you’re giving yourself a frequent break from all that information and focus on another task.
- Connect with loved ones online: With applications like Skype and Facetime, it’s become easier to connect with our friends and family. At Visiting Angels of Wayne, we have developed a Social Care Program to help Wayne seniors use these online platforms to connect with the world around them.
- Fit fun into your day: Although we’re stuck inside, it doesn’t mean that we can’t have fun. Activities like listening to music, crafting, and completing puzzles can turn a day inside into a fantastic time.
Learn More About Visiting Angels of Wayne Today
For more information about how our care can protect your loved one, contact our offices at your earliest convenience. We would love to answer any questions that you may have.