Elderly Care Services in Redding: Fall Prevention Tips from Our Team
When it comes to senior health and safety, one of the biggest concerns for many families is the risk of falling. Throughout the course of a year, 1 in 3 elderly adults will experience a fall. Of those who do, 1 in 5 will be injured seriously enough to require a hospital visit. Falls are responsible for broken bones, concussions, and the majority of hip fractures. Many seniors never fully recover after a fall and the fear of falling again can greatly hinder their quality of life. But why are seniors more likely to fall down? Changes in blood pressure, vision loss, medication effects, muscle weakness, stiffness, loss of sensation, unsteady gait, and more can all increase a loved one's likelihood of falling. Thankfully, there are measures you can take to help keep your loved one safe. Elderly Care Services from Visiting Angels® Redding CA can also help.
How You Can Help Prevent Falls in Redding
You can help elderly loved ones prevent falls by assessing their risk factors and taking some precautions. Visiting Angels Redding is an experienced provider of home care services, and we recommend the following measures when considering your loved one's safety:
- Check light bulbs in hallways and stairwells to make sure the areas are well lit
- Look to see if any of your loved one's medications can cause dizziness or loss of sensation
- Make sure your loved one's footwear, including slippers, fit properly and are not slippery
- If your loved one feels unsteady or has any near falls be sure to tell their doctor promptly
- Install handles or safety bars in your loved one's bathroom to keep them safe while bathing
- Help your loved one get regular physical activity so they can keep their muscles strong
- Make sure the floor and walkways are free of clutter such as loose rugs and power cords
How Visiting Angels Redding Can Help
For further assistance at home, seniors can turn to elderly care services from Visiting Angels Redding. Our caregivers help with daily tasks and mobility to help seniors remain safe and avoid falls.
Some of the services we can provide include:
- Walking assistance
- Transferring aid
- Toileting & grooming
- Bathing and dressing
- Meal preparation
- Light housekeeping
- Running errands
- Transportation help
If your loved one has concerns about falling, call Visiting Angels Redding today and ask how our elderly care services can help. You can schedule a free consultation to get started.