How Elder Companion Care in Staunton VA Prevents Isolation
Human beings, by nature, are social creatures. When we don't have regular contact with other people, it can affect our mental, physical, and cognitive health. Seniors in particular are vulnerable to the effects of isolation. It's estimated that approximately one-third of seniors live alone. At Visiting Angels® Staunton, we understand how important it is for seniors to enjoy regular, fulfilling social interactions. For families in Staunton VA, it's one reason we offer elder companion care.
But first of all, why is isolation such a risk—and how does senior care reduce that risk? Let's take a look.
What Are The Risks of Social Isolation For Seniors?
Why consider elder companion care in Staunton VA? Here are a few risks associated with isolation and minimal social contact:
- Less activity. When seniors have regular social contact, it's an opportunity to move around—even if they're just getting dressed for the day. This helps keep up mobility and strength. Decreased connection, in turn, can cause less activity, resulting in decreased strength, flexibility, and mobility.
- Cognitive decline. Interacting with other people activates the brain in all kinds of ways. It's no surprise, then, that less social interaction offers less mental stimulation. It can trigger cognitive decline and is even a high-risk factor for dementia or similar memory disorders.
- Depression and anxiety. Social situations, even one-on-one interactions, can release endorphins and have other positive effects on well-being. When seniors face periods of prolonged isolation, it can significantly affect mental health, causing depression, anxiety, and even paranoia.
How Elder Companion Care Can Help
Ongoing care can offer many great benefits, and reducing isolation is just one of those. Here's how our caregivers make that possible:
- Companionship. With a regular, dedicated caregiver, it's easy for seniors to forge meaningful connections, giving them an outlet for social contact, conversation, and companionship.
- Activity. With elder companion care in the Staunton VA area, we help clients enjoy their favorite activities and hobbies. That way, they can stay mentally and physically active for as long as possible.
- Social connection. For seniors in Staunton VA, leaving the home can be a challenge. We help to arrange transportation, accompany clients to social gatherings if needed, and even connect them to family through technology.
Helping Seniors Thrive Throughout Staunton VA
With our agency, you can set up elder companion care wherever you need it, including:
- Staunton VA
- Stuarts Draft
- And throughout the surrounding area
It's easier than ever to get trusted elder companion care in Staunton VA. Just get in touch with the team at Visiting Angels Staunton for details.