Explore Alzheimer's Care in York, Hanover, PA and the Surrounding Area
Visiting Angels Offers Alzheimer’s Care in York, Hanover, Dover, Red Lion and Nearby Cities
At Visiting Angels of York, we offer specialized Alzheimer’s Care to help families manage a loved one suffering from Alzheimer’s Disease. If you have a loved one who you think may have Alzheimer’s, we recommend consulting your loved one’s doctor to determine next steps. If you are unsure if they are exhibiting signs of Alzheimer’s, we encourage you to read below!
Look for these Warning Signs:
- Struggles to make decisions or demonstrate good judgment
- Decreased ability to plan, solve problems, or concentrate
- Difficulty understanding visual images or responding to color or contrast
- New or worsening problems with language
- New or worsening confusion about time and place, dates, or seasons
- Difficulty completing familiar tasks or handling projects that were once easy
- Withdrawal from social activities or interpersonal interactions
- Changes in personality or mood, such as fear, suspicion, irritability, or disinterest in everyday activities
- Forgetting important names or recent events
- Misplacing items or the inability to retrace steps to locate lost items
If your loved one displays these symptoms, they should be screened for Alzheimer’s by a physician. Basic forgetfulness can be part of the normal aging process. But with Alzheimer’s, these symptoms gradually increase and become more severe with time.
Seek Alzheimer's Support
Be proactive in making decisions about Alzheimer's care. Follow a few basic steps to help manage the disease:
- Educate yourself about Alzheimer’s; the more you know, the more you can prepare. The Alzheimer’s Foundation of America and Alzheimer’s Association are great resources.
- Arrange respite care. As the primary caregiver, you will eventually need help. Short breaks will let you rest and rejuvenate. To ease the transition, introduce a professional caregiver into the family during the early stages of Alzheimer’s. As the disease progresses, it will be difficult and upsetting to change caregivers. When hiring caregivers, look for those with specific Alzheimer’s care training and credentials, like Visiting Angels of York.
- Build a support system. The role of care provider can be stressful and overwhelming. Reach out to family and friends for help and make time to maintain your own physical and mental health. Also, many hospitals and departments of aging offer free support groups. Sites like the National Family Caregivers Association and Caring.com can help you find support.
- Consult professionals to take care of financial, legal, and long-term care issues. Discuss future care wishes and end-of-life issues.
- Use cognitive stimulation. Listening to music and doing word puzzles and memory games can provide a positive experience for both the patient and caregivers.
Schedule Your Free, In-Home Assessment with Visiting Angels of York
If you or your loved one has been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease, know that you are not alone. To learn more about Visiting Angels of York’s Alzheimer’s care, call our office to schedule a free consultation.
Serving York, Hanover, Dover, Red Lion, and the Surrounding Area
Visiting Angels YORK, PENNSYLVANIA1840 E Market St
York, PA 17402
Each Visiting Angels agency is a franchise that is independently owned and operated. The Franchisor, Living Assistance Services Inc., does not control or manage the day to day business operations of any Visiting Angels franchised agency.