Websites for Seniors to Explore
When you first log onto the internet, it's easy to feel lost and overwhelmed by everything. It can also be challenging to know what websites are safe and which to steer clear. Overall, the internet is a safe and fun space to shop, learn, watch movies, play games, and chat with friends. If you're new to the internet and are unsure where to start, check out a few of these top websites.
Websites for Shopping
Sometimes it's nice to window shop at your favorite boutique, but the internet brings all your favorite stores right to your computer.
- Groupon- If you like shopping with coupons or what to find the best prices on your favorite items, then check out Groupon. On Groupon, you can select your city, and it'll show you all the restaurants, stores, and activities in the area that are running promotions.
- Amazon- Amazon is one of the leading online retailers with a wide selection of apparel, home goods, electronics, pet supplies, groceries, and more. Amazon uses a secure payment platform, so your personal information and credit card data are safe when you purchase.
- Major retailers- All of your favorite retailers have an online shop that is safe and secure to shop on. To find your favorite stores, use a trusted internet browser such as Google Chrome, and type in the store's name. In most cases, the first link at the top of the page after hitting "enter" will be for the correct store.
Websites for Resources
If you need additional information about anything from health concerns to financial advice, tons of valuable resources are available online.
- AARP- You're probably familiar with the nonprofit organization AARP, but did you know they have a website full of relevant news, retirement advice, social and financial guidance, games, and more.
- Love to Know Seniors- Love to Know Seniors is an online media platform with many articles relevant to seniors. You can browse topics about family, pets, gardening, beauty, travel, health, and hobbies. Plus, there are fun quizzes and horoscopes if you're seeking more lighthearted content.
- Visiting Angels- Not only is Visiting Angels a great place to find an at-home caregiver, but we also have an online blog where we share a ton of articles and advice about coping with various conditions, healthy eating, exercise ideas, and more.
Websites for Entertainment
When you have some downtime, you can check out these online sites for some fun ways to pass the time.
- Facebook- Facebook is one of the largest social media platforms and is a great place to connect with friends and family members. Once you create an account, you can send messages and share photos with any of your loved ones who also have an account. You can also join groups to meet and converse with new people about any of your favorite hobbies or activities.
- Netflix- Netflix is a streaming service that allows you to watch tons of television shows, movies, and documentaries. You do need to sign up and pay for an account, but you can cancel your subscription at any time. You can also use your Netflix account on a smart TV or smartphone.
Tips for Identifying Safe Websites
Navigating the World Wide Web can feel overwhelming and unsafe at times, but there are a few things you can look for to help identify safe websites.
- Use websites that have a URL that starts with HTTPS. When you're on a website, look at the front of the URL, the long sequence found toward the top of the page. Secure websites start with "https" instead of "http." A secure website means your information shared with the site is safe.
- Look for the lock icon before the URL. When you're using an internet browser such as Google Chrome or Firefox, you'll notice an image of a lock at the front of the URL. If the lock is closed, the website is secure and safe to use. If the lock is open, the website is not secure and may not be safe to use.
- Avoid websites with lots of pop-ups or clickbait. If you go to a website and are bombarded with numerous advertisements or pop-ups asking you to "click here" or "enter your email," it's often a sign of a scam website. If this happens, exit the website by clicking the "x" on the tab at the top of your page, or leave the entire browser by hitting the "x" at the top right of the screen.
Are you interested in learning about home care services with Visiting Angels? Our Daphne office serves those in Baldwin County and the greater Mobile area. If you'd like to learn more about our services or schedule a complimentary consultation, you can call us at 251.517.9700 or complete this online form.