Dementia Care in Madison
Tips for Dealing with Sundowning
For many people living with Alzheimer’s or other dementia, late afternoon and early evening can be times of increased restlessness, anxiety, and paranoia. This shift in thinking and behavior is referred to as sundowners syndrome or sundowning. At Visiting Angels® Morris and Somerset County, we provide dementia care for seniors throughout Madison, NJ, and the surrounding areas and understand the challenges of sundowning.
While the exact cause of sundowning is unknown, there are ways to promote calmer evenings and restful nights. These five tips are a great place to start.
- Avoid foods and substances that can inhibit sleep, including alcohol, nicotine, and sugary sweets.
- Schedule appointments, shopping, and activities early in the day and avoid naps when possible.
- Keep the home well lit and use light therapy lamps to avoid shadows and darkness, which can be upsetting.
- Reduce loud noises and activity in the late afternoon and evening. Instead, fill these hours with quiet and calming activities, such as looking through photo albums or reading a favorite story.
- Pay attention to your loved one’s activities, diet, and environment before sundowning events to identify triggers.
Customized Dementia Care Services in Madison, NJ
For professional dementia care with a personal touch, you can rely on Visiting Angels Morris and Somerset County. We offer a nearly endless list of essential services and will customize them to your loved one’s individual needs. Scheduling is just as flexible, with caregivers available hourly 24 hours a day, seven days a week, including overnight, weekends, and holidays.
Our caregivers are trained by on-staff registered nurses. They can assist with daily tasks of living, including mobility, self-care, light housekeeping, medication reminders, wandering prevention. Transportation, meal planning, daily monitoring, and companionship are other frequently requested services.
Getting Started with Visiting Angels Morris and Somerset County
Arranging dementia care is stress-free with Visiting Angels Morris and Somerset County. Call our office today to get started. A registered nurse from our team will visit to discuss your loved one’s needs, preferences, and schedule and create a customized care plan just for them.
Dementia care from Visiting Angels Morris and Somerset County is available in:
- Morris County
- Pompton Plains
- East Hanover
- Basking Ridge
- Far Hills
- And the surrounding areas
Learn more about dementia care in Madison by calling Visiting Angels Morris and Somerset County today and scheduling an in-home consultation.
Serving Morris, Somerset, Warren & Hunterdon Counties, NJ.
Visiting Angels MORRIS & SOMERSET COUNTIES, NEW JERSEY55 Madison Ave #400
Morristown, NJ 07960