Dementia Care Services in Salem, OR: Our Tips For Family Caregivers
Looking after a spouse or parent with dementia can be a huge undertaking. At Visiting Angels® Albany OR, we understand how much of a strain it can put on everyone. With our dementia care services, we ease some of the challenges faced by families in Salem, OR. With flexible care options and specialized dementia support, we help seniors enjoy routine and balance at a trying time.
We can also provide support, respite care, and recommendations for family caregivers. Let's take a look at some top tips for supporting your loved one.
4 Tips For Dealing With Daily Challenges in Salem, OR
Family caregivers take on a lot, and that workload only grows if your family member is diagnosed with dementia. That said, a few things can help manage day-to-day challenges. Here are a few priorities to think about:
- Safety. The physical difficulties of dementia can come as a surprise, especially in the early days. Falls and other accidents can be a big risk. When your loved one gets diagnosed, make sure to think about safety features that can help with mobility and personal tasks. Grab rails, de-cluttering, better lighting, and shower seats can all be great.
- Assistance. Simply put, you can't take everything on by yourself. Getting extra support means you can conserve some energy while ensuring that your loved one has support. It's a good idea to set up dementia care services early in Salem, OR—that way, your loved one has time to get comfortable with a professional caregiver.
- Compassion. Having compassion for your loved one means having compassion for yourself, too. When your loved one lashes out in anger or fear, you don't want to match their emotions. But it's also important to take a second to breathe, or even step out of the room to collect yourself if needed.
- Time. Dementia involves a lot of ongoing challenges, and navigating these new realities can be a big adjustment for everyone. First and foremost, be patient with yourself and your loved one. Things may take longer than you expect them to. You're doing your best in a tough situation.
Dementia Care Services Whenever You Need Them
The challenges with dementia don't always come with a warning. When you need dementia care services at a moment's notice, we're here to help. We offer flexible, comprehensive care in:
- Salem, OR
- Polk County
- Benton County
- Linn County
- Marion County
- And throughout the surrounding area
Learn more about your options for dementia care in Salem, OR. You can call Visiting Angels Albany OR today for details.