Boosting Immunity with Senior Care in the Greensboro, NC Area
Your immune system is the armor that your body needs against diseases, such as COVID-19. Keeping your immune system in working order can prevent diseases and infections from developing within the body. Having a strong immune system is even more important for those who are at a higher risk of developing complications, including the elderly and those with serious underlying health conditions.
The mission of Visiting Angels of Greensboro is to protect some of the most vulnerable within our community through senior care. We believe that the building blocks of making positive changes within our health and wellness is changing our daily routines.
Maintaining a Healthy Senior Care Routine in Greensboro
Often, it’s the small, consistent changes that make a big difference throughout a senior’s life. To change your lifestyle for the better, here are some factors that you can focus on:
- Getting enough sleep: Seniors should be getting just as much sleep as younger adults, about seven to nine hours. If your loved one is having trouble sticking to a relaxing nighttime routine, a Greensboro caregiver can develop a routine that works well for their lifestyle.
- Maintaining a regular exercise routine: Some great, low-impact exercises for seniors include chair exercises, floor exercises, and stretching. A senior caregiver can help your loved one perform these exercises regularly.
- Eating a healthy diet: A diet that’s rich in fruits and vegetables can boost your immune system, according to Harvard Medical School. At Visiting Angels of Greensboro, we can connect you with a knowledgeable caregiver that can handle meal preparation as well as grocery runs.
Tips to Reduce Stress in Greensboro
Many of us are feeling more stressed out than usual, because of the COVID-19 pandemic. This increase in stress can wreak havoc on your body, including weakening your immune system. Below are a few ways you can relieve stress during your day-to-day life:
- Connect with loved ones online: Just because we are practicing social distancing, doesn’t mean that we can’t stay social. Use video-calling applications like Skype and FaceTime to get some virtual face-to-face with family and friends. Visiting Angels of Greensboro offers a social care program to teach Greensboro seniors how to use technology such as Skype.
- Take a break from the news: Hearing about COVID-19 during a 24-hour news cycle can be rough. Give yourself permission to step away from watching the news and focus on performing another, most enjoyable task.
- Ask for help: Don’t be afraid to ask for help. For example, many therapists are allowing sessions through phone calls, video calls, or text messages. You can also reach SAMHSA’s Disaster Distress Helpline at 1-800-985-5990 or text TalkWithUs to 66746.
Learn more about our senior care services by contacting the offices of Visiting Angels of Greensboro today.