Boosting Immunity with Senior Care in the Newport Beach, CA Area
COVID-19 has changed the way that millions of people around the globe live, especially in our home state of California. To help prevent some of our most vulnerable seniors from contracting COVID-19, the senior care professionals at Visiting Angels of Newport Beach have developed tips to help boost your loved one’s immunity.
Boosting Immunity Is Very Important Against COVID-19
Keeping a senior’s immune system in tip-top shape is key in fighting illness, especially COVID-19. To build a strong immune system, focus on the following senior care tips:
- Exercise regularly: Research has shown that regular exercise increases the immunity of seniors. At Visiting Angels of Newport Beach, one of our senior caregivers can assist your loved one with a low-impact exercise routine. For example, the routine could include floor exercises, stretching, and weights.
- Washing your hands: Handwashing is one of the best ways to protect yourself from getting sick. The CDC reports that you should wash your hands for at least 20 seconds. If you sneezed, coughed, or blew your nose, you should wash your hands once more. Our home care agency offers personal care services to help with tasks such as handwashing, bathing, and toileting.
- Eating a healthy diet: To boost your immunity, eating a healthy diet is extremely important. For example, Harvard Medical School suggests eating a diet rich in vegetables and fruits to boost your immune system.
How Reducing Stress Improves Your Health
With fear and anxiety from the COVID-19 pandemic, comes stress. Below are a few important tips to help you and your loved one relieve stress:
- Practice fun, relaxing activities at home: Activities such as reading, cooking, and listening to music are just a few of the many activities that you can enjoy from the comfort of your own home. Practice the hobbies that bring you the most joy.
- Prioritize self-care: Now is a great time to focus on activities that take care of your body, whether physically or cognitively. For example, maintaining a healthy well-balanced diet or practicing yoga can help you feel better both inside and out.
- Reach out if you need help: Don’t be afraid to reach out if you’re struggling. For example, you can call the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration’s (SAMHSA) Disaster Distress Helpline.
If you require assistance to combat COVID-19, Visiting Angels of Newport Beach has your back. Contact our offices today to learn more about our senior care services and request a free consultation.