Alzheimer's Care: Travel Tips From Stockbridge Caregivers
As a trusted provider of Alzheimer's care, Visiting Angels® Fayetteville GA often receives questions from families throughout the Stockbridge area in regards to caring for a loved one with Alzheimer's disease. Some of the questions we hear frequently revolve around traveling with a family member who has Alzheimer's or dementia. Before you travel, we encourage you to consider the following: Is your loved one prone to wandering? Do they regularly have emotional or aggressive outbursts? Does your loved one fall frequently? If so, you may be better off leaving your loved one in the hands of a trusted Alzheimer's care professional in Stockbridge, such as Visiting Angels Fayetteville.
Tips to Make Travel More Enjoyable
If your family member or loved one is newly diagnosed with Alzheimer's, they may still be able to enjoy the benefits of travel. Visiting Angels Fayetteville has put together some Alzheimer's care tips for the families throughout Stockbridge, Newnan, McDonough, Peachtree City, Lovejoy, Brooks, Tyrone, Sharpsburg, and the surrounding communities to utilize while traveling:
- Make sure your loved one is wearing identification. A bracelet such as medic alert, or even emergency information written inside their clothing can be helpful if your loved one becomes separated during travel.
- Allow plenty of time. Whether driving or flying, make sure your loved one has plenty of time to get from place to place and to acclimate to changing surroundings. This will also help keep stress levels down.
- Be sure to keep your loved one's medications, physician contact information in Stockbridge, Alzheimer's caregiver instructions, emergency contacts, legal paperwork, and other important documents with you at all times.
- Keep a bag with a change of clothes, snacks, water, and activities for your loved one.
- Consider traveling to places your loved one has visited before their diagnosis.
- Bring familiar and comforting items from home such as blanket, pillow, or favorite pajamas.
- Alert the airline staff of your loved one's condition and pre-board so they have time to get settled.
Alzheimer's Care in Stockbridge
If you are traveling to the Stockbridge GA area, consider temporary Alzheimer's care from Visiting Angels Fayetteville for additional support. We can spend time with your loved one and give you the opportunity to get out and take a break.
If you have a loved one in Stockbridge who requires Alzheimer's care , call Visiting Angels Fayetteville today and ask about our non-medical services. We can even schedule a free consultation to help you get started.