Dementia Care in Newnan: Early Signs of Dementia
The World Health Organization states that 47 million people are living with dementia worldwide. Dementia is the term used to characterize cognitive decline which is severe enough to affect most aspects of daily life. Decline in abilities such as language, judgment, memory, and intellectual function are usually progressive. Senior care agencies such as Visiting Angels® Fayetteville GA provide dementia care services to seniors in Newnan, McDonough, Fayetteville, Stockbridge, Peachtree City, Lovejoy, Tyrone, Senoia, Brooks, Sharpsburg, and the surrounding communities.
Signs to Watch Out For
If you suspect a loved one may have dementia, it is important to follow up with their physician as soon as possible. Seniors throughout Newnan and the local communities can benefit from the care and expertise of dementia care from Visiting Angels Fayetteville. Some common signs of dementia include:
- Forgetting recent events or new information and being unable to recall it later, and asking the same question repeatedly is common
- Trouble completing routine tasks such as finding your way back home, preparing meals, getting dressed, and more
- Language difficulties can cause seniors to forget the meaning of common words or use them incorrectly, therefore following conversations may be hard
- Seniors with dementia can forget where they are or how they got there and are sometimes unable to recognize familiar environments
- Difficulty concentrating can cause problems with balancing a checkbook or working with numbers
- While misplacing items is not necessarily uncommon, someone with dementia may put objects in unusual places and be unable to find them
- Dementia often causes sudden mood swings such as depression, anger, paranoia, or personality changes such as inhibition
- Seniors with dementia may lose interest in their favorite activities or become socially withdrawn
- Poor judgment is common and may include finances, seasonally appropriate clothing, or personal hygiene
- Driving can be problematic due to poor spatial skills involving direction and distance
The Importance of Dementia Care for Seniors in Newnan
Choosing dementia care from Visiting Angels Fayetteville can help your Newnan area loved one remain safely at home. We will strive to improve your loved one's overall quality of life by assisting with the non-medical activities of everyday living. We can monitor your loved one and help prevent wandering. In addition to the one-on-one care and support your loved one will receive, your family will gain peace of mind.
Call Visiting Angels Fayetteville today to learn how our dementia care helps Newnan area seniors.