How Caregivers in Newnan Help with Senior Isolation
According to research from the US Census Bureau, around 28% of Americans over the age of 65 are living alone. Whether due to retirement, loss of a spouse, limited mobility, or other causes, seniors may find themselves spending increasing amounts of time alone. For some this can lead to feelings of depression and isolation. If you have concerns about the amount of time an elderly loved one is spending alone at home, Visiting Angels® Gresham GA can help. Our caregivers provide care and companionship to seniors throughout Newnan, McDonough, Fayetteville, Stockbridge, Peachtree City, Lovejoy, Tyrone, Senoia, Brooks, Sharpsburg, and the surrounding communities.
Negative Effects of Senior Isolation
When an elderly adult lives with feelings of isolation there can be many negative effects. Because Visiting Angels Gresham is experienced at caring for the elderly, our caregivers in Newnan are familiar with the effects loneliness can have on seniors. Some ways isolation can affect a senior loved one include:
- Higher mortality risk if an acute condition develops and your loved one is without assistance
- Seniors who feel lonely are more likely to make poor lifestyle choices
- Feelings of isolation are believed to contribute to poor mental and physical health
- A study has found a link between feelings of loneliness and high blood pressure
- Isolation has been linked to faster cognitive decline per the University of Chicago
- Illnesses such as lung disease, depression, and arthritis have been linked to social isolation in studies
Thankfully, the knowledgeable caregivers from Visiting Angels Gresham can help your loved one in Newnan avoid feelings of isolation by providing one-on-one care and support.
Caregivers in Newnan can Help Alleviate Isolation
The senior caregivers from Visiting Angels Gresham are skilled at helping seniors avoid feelings of isolation. Some of the ways our care in Newnan can help include:
- Transportation assistance can help seniors get out of the house and socialize with others
- Caregivers can help your loved one with activities such as volunteering, where they can make friends and connections
- Elder care providers can help seniors exercise and go for walks which helps combat high blood pressure and diabetes
- Social care can teach your loved one how to utilize various forms of technology, such as social media, to connect with family and friends
If you have an elderly loved one in need of companionship at home, call Visiting Angels Gresham and ask how our caregivers can help your family member in Newnan feel connected.