Alzheimer's Care Travel Tips from Visiting Angels Boerne
If you help provide Alzheimer’s care to a parent or loved one in the Boerne area, you may be unsure about whether it’s a good idea to take your loved one on your next family road trip or vacation. While traveling with a loved one who suffers from a memory disorder takes more preparation and organization, with the right care and preparation, your loved one may be able to safely and comfortably enjoy a stress-free family trip.
Whether your next family vacation is in Texas or out of state, Visiting Angels® Boerne created a list of Alzheimer's care tips that will help your trip go more smoothly for your family and be safer and more comfortable for your loved one.
Alzheimer’s Care Traveling Tips for Caregivers in Boerne
A few Alzheimer’s care tips from Visiting Angels Boerne that will help make traveling easier and safer for your loved one include:
- Be Prepared. Keep your loved one’s medication and important documents with you at all times. These documents should include physician contact information, a list of your loved one’s current medications, and travel itinerary and insurance information.
- Use an Identification Bracelet. If your loved one is prone to wandering, make sure they have a way that they can be identified. If they don’t have an ID bracelet, write their name on the inside of their clothes, and put your phone number and a list of their medical conditions in their wallet.
- Allow for Extra Time. Providing Alzheimer's care to your loved one in the Boerne, TX area takes time and patience. Avoid stress and confusion by leaving yourself plenty of time between layovers, and letting your loved one get comfortable in new places.
- Make Surroundings Familiar. You can help your loved one be more comfortable by bringing familiar items from home such as blankets, pillows, and pajamas. Also try to keep their routine the same to avoid confusion.
- Keep Expectations Realistic. Although the proper Alzheimer’s care can make travel safer and easier for your loved one in the Boerne area, it’s important you keep your expectations realistic. If your loved one exhibits physical or verbal aggression, has an unstable medical condition, or is at risk of falling, it may be best to keep travel local.
To learn more about Alzheimer’s care for your loved one in Fredericksburg, Kerrville, Boerne, San Antonio, TX, or throughout the surrounding communities, call Visiting Angels Boerne today.