Social Care Program
Visiting Angels knows that providing care for your loved one requires a holistic approach. This holistic approach entails care for the individual, both inside and outside of the home. By utilizing modern technology, our social care program helps families stay connected by using platforms like Facebook, Skype, FaceTime, etc., to remain active and engaged.
Digital Tools Help Seniors Connect to Family and Friends
Adopting a digital social life may not come so easily to older adults who have difficulties grasping new technology. However, recent studies have shown the following emotional and mental benefits digital tools can have on the elderly:
- Surfing the internet can reduce depression in Seniors by 20 percent.*
- A University of Arizona study finds seniors who use Facebook showed a 25 percent improvement in mental “updating” skills – essentially improving their working memory.
- Another study shows seniors who visit social networking sites like Facebook have a positive emotional experience when measured by breathing rates, brain stimulation and pupil dilation.**
Helping Seniors Stay Engaged Via Technology
The Visiting Angels’ Social Care Program teach seniors to:
- Use a cell phone
- Text, send e-mail, Skype, or use FaceTime
- Create a Facebook page/account and interact with family and friends
- Log in, shop online or research information on a search engine
Because of this program, I was able to experience two of the greatest joys in life – becoming a grandmother and seeing my son become a new father. Skyping and Facebooking with my son and his family are now a normal part of my life. It helps me feel like I’m still an important part of their lives even though I’m miles and miles away.
* Washington, D.C. based Phoenix Center
** Journal Cyberpsychology, Behavior, and Social Networking
Contact your local Visiting Angels home care office for more information about our social care program.
*Each Visiting Angels agency is a franchise that is independently owned and operated. The Franchisor, Living Assistance Services Inc., does not control or manage the day to day business operations of any Visiting Angels franchised agency.