Caring for a Loved One with Alzheimer’s Disease in Stockton, CA and Surrounding Areas
Visiting Angels provides reliable home care solutions for seniors living with Alzheimer’s in Stockton, Lodi, Tracy and surrounding areas in San Joaquin County, CA
Alzheimer’s disease is one of the most serious brain disorders, affecting memory, cognitive skills, and behavior. As of yet, there is no cure for Alzheimer’s disease, but there are quality home care solutions and strategies that may slow down its progression or soften its symptoms.
With help from family members and home health care providers from Visiting Angels Stockton, seniors with Alzheimer’s disease can age at home and maintain a good quality of life for longer.
Ten Warning Signs of Alzheimer’s
- Inability to remember names of people, places, recent events and other information.
- Difficulty with solving simple daily problems, like being unable to follow a recipe.
- Trouble performing routine tasks like cleaning or meal prep.
- Confusion about time and the passage of time.
- Difficulty comprehending visual images and spatial relationships, like being unable to properly judge distance, determine the color of something or read with ease.
- Problems with speech and understanding speech.
- Losing and misplacing items (people with Alzheimer’s commonly place things in places they do not belong or think others stole something from them).
- Poor decision making and judgment (people with Alzheimer’s are more likely to fall victim to scams).
- Withdrawing in oneself and not wanting to engage in previously enjoyable activities.
- Changes in behavior or personality.
If you have noticed your loved one is showing one or more of these signs, it is important to talk to a doctor immediately. When a loved one is diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease, it is vital to plan for their care: determine how family members can help and look for reliable home care solutions.
Supporting a Loved One with Alzheimer’s Disease
Finding out that your loved one has Alzheimer’s can be devastating, but there are certain steps you can take to help them.
Here is what you can do:
- Learn as much as you can about the illness. Some of the best resources are Alzheimer’s Foundation of America and the Alzheimer’s Association.
- Handle financial, legal and care plans. Speak with your loved one about home health care and end of life care options while they are of sound mind.
- Keep your loved one mentally stimulated. You can encourage them to listen to their favorite music, play games and solve puzzles.
- Make plans for respite care in the early stages and for home health care for the later stages, when the symptoms worsen and you may not be able to do it all alone.
- Build a support system. Dealing with a loved one’s Alzheimer’s diagnosis can be difficult on its own, without actually being their caregiver. However, when you care for them, things can get mentally and physically overwhelming for you. Surround yourself with loved ones, join support groups, and ask for help when you need it.
Visiting Angels Stockton offers top-quality home care solutions for seniors with dementia and Alzheimer’s disease in San Joaquin County. Let us be your partner in Alzheimer’s care and help your family.
Contact our Stockton, CA office today at 209-208-4132 to learn more and schedule your free consultation.
Serving the Central Valley region including Stockton, Lodi, Tracy, Modesto, Manteca, and throughout San Joaquin & Stanislaus Counties
Visiting Angels STOCKTON, CALIFORNIA3453 Brookside Rd #C
Stockton, CA 95219