How Transitional Care in Eugene Reduces Hospital Readmissions
Ready-Set-Go Home with Transitional Care
The transitional care program we offer at Visiting Angels® Eugene helps seniors in our community get access to the resources and tools they need to avoid hospital readmission. While no one wants to stay at a hospital longer than they need to, according to the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, nearly a fifth of seniors released from a hospital are readmitted within 30 days. With our transitional care program, we provide seniors in Cottage Grove, Springfield, Junction City, Pleasant Hill, Eugene, Rogue Valley, and the surrounding areas with personalized and supportive care that addresses the main causes of hospital readmission.
The Causes of Hospital Readmission in Eugene
While the causes for readmission can vary widely, most often, the reasons include:
- Mismanaging medication or taking the wrong medication at the wrong time
- Not going to follow-up medical appointments
- The inability to manage an illness or disease at home
- Not following through with discharge instructions
- Exhaustion due to a changed eating and sleeping schedule at the hospital
How Transitional Care Helps Seniors in Eugene
Our transitional care program from Visiting Angels Eugene uses a three-prong approach to address the specific causes of hospital readmission for seniors in the area. This approach includes:
- At the Hospital. Once we hear a client has been hospitalized, we will visit them at their family’s request. During this visit, we will provide a copy of our “Ready – Set – Go Home” discharge planning guide, which helps prompt our clients to ask important questions about issues that affect hospital readmission. These questions include dietary and medication needs, symptoms to report, as well as dates and times of follow-up appointments.
- At Home. At your loved one’s home, our transitional care providers from Visiting Angels Eugene will be able to gain unique insight into your loved one’s lifestyle and habits. They’ll be able to let supervisors or case managers know reasons why your loved one is missing follow-up appointments or not taking the right medication. This way, we can quickly address any issues that put your loved one at risk of hospital readmission.
- At Our Office. At our office in Eugene, our transitional care services help seniors by providing medication and appointment reminders, arranging food and medication deliveries, and by accompanying our clients to appointments.
To help your loved one avoid hospital readmission, call Visiting Angels Eugene today to learn more about our transitional care services.
Serving Eugene, Springfield and Other Communities of Lane County, OR
Visiting Angels in Eugene, OR1600 Executive Pkwy #310
Eugene, OR 97401
Each Visiting Angels agency is a franchise that is independently owned and operated. The Franchisor, Living Assistance Services Inc., does not control or manage the day to day business operations of any Visiting Angels franchised agency.