Did You Know?
- Accidents can happen at any age, but serious accidents and injury occur more commonly with an older adult.
- The risk of falling increases with age and is greater for women than for men.
- 62% of elderly in Lake County who go to the ER for medical care due to a fall are admitted to the hospital.
- Although 60-70% of accidents due to a fall occur in the home, 55% of the people admitted to a hospital are discharged to a nursing home rather than back to their home
- Falls and injuries from falls are preventable. If you do fall, discuss the fact that you fell with your doctor or nurse because they can help you find out the cause of the fall. Most health providers will do anything they can to ensure that you can live safely in your home.
- NOTE: Two-thirds of those who experience a fall will fall again within 6 months
University of Kentucky Healthcare. How to avoid falls as you age. Interviews with a senior, her daughter, ER staff. Home safety tips. 1:44 min.: //www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbR5ZlL_rzE&feature=related
Fear of Falling: A Matter of Balance 0:59 sec.: //www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7p-ssjz7UA&feature=related
Physical Therapist at Waldo General Hospital. Exercises that can be done in 10 min to strengthen muscles. 2:41 min.: //www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgnU940_FiQ&feature=related
Smart moves chair aerobics using legs and arms . 7:20 min.: //www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3NDzgqjfyU&feature=related
How to get up from a fall (Visiting Nurse Association instructor) 1:55 min.://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJxpLidlgvQ&feature=related
Serving Lake County, IL
Visiting Angels in Libertyville, IL14048 Petronella Dr #201
Libertyville, IL 60048
Each Visiting Angels agency is a franchise that is independently owned and operated. The Franchisor, Living Assistance Services Inc., does not control or manage the day to day business operations of any Visiting Angels franchised agency.