How Transitional Care in Burlington Reduces Hospital Readmissions
Ready-Set-Go Home with Transitional Care
Having a senior in the hospital is a stressful time for any family, but the time following their release is often equally, if not more stressful because of the high risk of readmission. Transitional care from Visiting Angels® Burlington VT can help to bridge the gap between hospital and home by providing skilled care and support for your loved one. Our Ready-Set-Go home program helps Burlington-area seniors to stay on the path to recovery.
Why Does Readmission Occur?
So why is the risk of readmission so high? Seniors are at their most vulnerable after a hospital stay, when they may be weakened from laying in bed or have impaired judgment due to medication's side-effects. In the absence of transitional care from Visiting Angels Burlington VT, there are many things which can lead to readmission.
Some of the things that can send seniors back to the hospital include:
- Misunderstandings Discharge Instructions - Discharge can be overwhelming for seniors, and they may not always catch or understand the aftercare instructions given to them by their medical staff. Failure to follow-through on these instructions can cause a premature return to the hospital.
- Missed Medications - Without transitional care, forgotten or improperly taken medications can seriously impede a senior's recovery or lead to an even more serious condition.
- Re-injury or Strain - Many Burlington area seniors are eager to get back into their regular routine and may push themselves to do too much, too soon.
- Poor Hygiene - For seniors who struggle to bathe or reach the bathroom, lack of hygiene can lead to infection and send them back into the hospital.
- Lack of Support - Seniors that are bedridden may not be able to prepare nutritious meals for themselves or may not drink enough liquids which is not conducive to the healing process.
How Transitional Care Helps Burlington Area Seniors
For many Burlington area seniors, transitional care is the key to a smooth and speedy recovery. Having a skilled caregiver on hand to take care of everything from light housework and errands to meal preparation can prevent your loved one from overdoing it by trying to do too much themselves. Our caregiver companions from Visiting Angels Burlington VT can coordinate the delivery of supplies and medical equipment so that your loved one has everything they need, right at their fingertips.
Find out more with a free, in-home consultation on transitional care by calling Visiting Angels Burlington VT today.
Serving Burlington, Colchester, Montpelier, St Albans, and nearby areas
Visiting Angels VERMONT78 Severance Green #106
Colchester, VT 05446