What is Alzheimer’s and What are Home Care Nursing Options in Newburyport, MA?
If you have a loved one who has recently been diagnosed, you likely have many questions. This FAQ gives you answers from home care nursing professionals at Visiting Angels of Newburyport. Learn more about Alzheimer’s below.
What are the risk factors for Alzheimer’s?
While scientists are still researching the exact cause of Alzheimer’s disease, researchers have identified several risk factors.
The three biggest risk factors are as follows:
- Advanced Age. In most cases, symptoms of Alzheimer’s disease begin after the age of 65.
- Genetics. Individuals with a family history of Alzheimer’s are at higher risk of developing the disease themselves.
- Heart Health. Poor cardiovascular health increases one’s risk. Individuals with a history of hypertension, high cholesterol, diabetes, stroke, or cardiac arrest will be at higher risk.
Other risk factors include
- Sleeping problems
- High stress levels
- Heavy smoking
- Heavy drinking
- History of head trauma
- Exposure to air pollution
What are the symptoms of Alzheimer’s?
Most symptoms, particularly early signs of Alzheimer’s, are expressed through a person’s speech, thought patterns, and behaviors.
The most prominent symptoms include:
- Short-term and long-term memory loss
- Trouble solving simple problems
- Uncommon struggles with day-to-day activities
- Words forgotten or mixed up
- Items lost more frequently
- Confusion about current time or place
- Confusion about the names and identities of people
- Irrational, irritable, or depressed behaviors and actions
What are my loved one’s options for Alzheimer’s care?
As Alzheimer’s disease progresses, individuals living with the disease require high levels of care to ensure their well-being and safety. Individuals with early stage and mid-stage Alzheimer’s are typically cared for by friends or family. But as the disease reaches its later stages, professional Alzheimer’s care is often required.
One option for senior care is moving your loved one into a nursing care facility. However, this can be traumatic for individuals with Alzheimer’s, and it is typically considered a last resort.
Another option is to hire Alzheimer’s home care nursing, such as those offered by Visiting Angels of Newburyport. This specialized in home care helps individuals age in place with Alzheimer’s disease.
Alzheimer’s home care nursing is distinct from traditional home care, since individuals with Alzheimer’s have distinct care needs from other seniors. Visiting Angels' specialized care is designed around the unique challenges of the disease, as well as the recipient’s individual care needs. Care is provided in the comfort of the recipient’s home, and services are performed by caregivers who are uniquely qualified to care for individuals living with Alzheimer’s.
Learn more about Alzheimer’s home care nursing offered by Visiting Angels of Newburyport today, or call 978-462-6162 to schedule a free consultation.
Serving Merrimack Valley of Massachusetts
Visiting Angels in Newburyport, MA182 State St
Newburyport, MA 01950
Each Visiting Angels agency is a franchise that is independently owned and operated. The Franchisor, Living Assistance Services Inc., does not control or manage the day to day business operations of any Visiting Angels franchised agency.