Elder Assistance: Social Care for Seniors in Anderson, IN and the Surrounding Area
Social Care: Helping Seniors Embrace Technology
Visiting Angels understands that when caring for your loved one it is best to use a holistic approach. For us the holistic approach includes care for the individual inside and outside of their home. We use technology in our social care programs to help families stay connected. We use platforms like Facebook, Skype, FaceTime, etc. to provide elder assistance to keep them engage with their loved ones. Using technology to keep our clients and their families connected has been a benefit during the COVID-19 pandemic. We have been able to keep families connected even when they couldn’t physically be in contact.
Digital Tools Help Seniors Connect to Family and Friends
Adapting to using social media and technology doesn’t always come easy for older adults, especially those who have had previous difficulty using technology—luckily, we can provide elder assistance with technology. Our clients have been thankful to be able to have this as an option when they would like to speak to a family member that they can’t see in person on a regular basis.
Recent studies have shown the following emotional and mental benefits digital tools can have on the elderly:
- Surfing the internet can reduce depression in Seniors by 20%. *
- A University of Arizona study finds seniors who use Facebook showed a 25% improvement in mental “updating” skills - essentially improving their working memory.
- A different study showed seniors that visit social networking sites, like Facebook, have had a positive emotional experience when measured by breathing rates, brain stimulation and pupil dilation. **
Helping Seniors Stay Engaged Via Technology
The Visiting Angels' Social Care Program provides elder assistance by teaching seniors to:
- Use a cell phone
- Text, send e-mail, Skype, or use FaceTime
- Create a Facebook page/account and interact with family and friends
- Log in, shop online or research information on a search engine
* Washington, D.C. based Phoenix Center
** Journal Cyberpsychology, Behavior, and Social Networking
Serving Pendleton, Muncie, Anderson, Greenfield, McCordsville, Fortville, IN and Surrounding Communities
Visiting Angels EAST CENTRAL, INDIANA110 E Hartman Rd
Anderson, IN 46012