Alzheimer's Care Tips: Travel Tips in Havertown
It is estimated that more than 5 million Americans are living with Alzheimer's disease. This means there are millions of seniors who are living everyday lives while dealing with the effects of the disorder. For seniors who are in the early stages of their illness, family members may try to stick to special traditions and routines for as long as possible. For some families this may mean family vacations or trips to visit loved ones. As a trusted provider of Alzheimer's care, Visiting Angels® Havertown is often asked about traveling with a loved one who has Alzheimer's or dementia. With advanced planning and preparation on your part, it may be possible for your loved one to still enjoy travel.
Tips to Make Travel More Enjoyable
When deciding whether to travel with a loved one who requires Alzheimer's care, Visiting Angels Havertown would encourage you to make the following considerations: Does your loved one show delusional behavior? Are they physically or verbally aggressive when under stress? Does your loved one have a higher risk for falling? If any of these are the case, you may consider leaving your loved one in the care of a trusted Alzheimer's care expert such as Visiting Angels Havertown.
However, if your loved one still seems fit for travel, try the following tips to help your trip go smoothly:
- Leave plenty of time for your loved one to adjust to changes in surroundings
- Try to avoid layovers and plane changes when possible
- Stay with your loved one at all times
- Have your loved one wear an identification bracelet in case you are separated
- Consider visiting familiar locations your loved one has been to before
- Keep important medical documents with you throughout your travel
- Have a list of your loved one's medications, physicians, and emergency contacts
- Keep an emergency bag with snacks, water, change of clothes, and important medications
Alzheimer's Care from Visiting Angels Havertown
If you are traveling to Havertown, Broomall, Delaware County, Main Line, Montgomery County, or the Philadelphia counties, consider additional Alzheimer's care and support from Visiting Angels Havertown. We offer temporary assistance to make things easier for your loved one and give you a break. If your loved one lives in our area and you need to travel without them, Visiting Angels Havertown can look out for them with reliable Alzheimer's care.
Call Visiting Angels Havertown today to learn more about our Alzheimer's care services and how they help.