Dementia Awareness Training
Staff and Caregivers from Visiting Angels of West Springfield recently attended a Dementia Awareness Training with “Dementia Friendly Communities in partnership with Senior Living Residences”. Many of the towns we work with, including our headquarters location in the town of West Springfield, are now Dementia Friendly towns. The training covered what individuals with Dementia deal with on a regular basis and how towns are promoting Dementia Awareness and helping those with Dementia through local initiatives.
As family and friends start to age, always remain aware of some common health issues that can affect elders. Dementia is a loss of cognitive skills (such as problem-solving, memory, and language functions) that is common in elders. Alzheimer’s disease, a cause of dementia, is a progressive brain disease that harms cognitive skills and memory function. Some common warning signs of Alzheimer’s and dementia are:
- Misplacing objects (e.g. putting keys in the fridge or a wallet underneath the sink)
- Repeating the same story, sentence, or phrase several times
- Inability to complete a train of thought or remember the correct name for an object
- Inability to complete routine tasks (e.g. brushing teeth or driving a familiar route)
- Difficulty with problem-solving and scheduling (e.g. inability to manage finances and pay bills on time, difficulty remembering dates and/or the time)
- Changes in vision, depth perception, or balance (e.g. difficulty reading or driving)
- Sudden negative mood changes, decreased participation in social activities
These symptoms, among others, can be early warning signs that an elderly individual may be experiencing Alzheimer’s or dementia. Visiting Angels of West Springfield can help you and your loved ones through these challenges. Our caregivers have special training in non-medical Alzheimer’s and dementia care. We hope to help your elderly loved ones manage the effects of these health issues in order to make life more enjoyable.
Visiting Angels of West Springfield is able to offer services assisting those with Alzheimer’s and dementia—along with many other types of care for those who need a little extra help throughout the day. We serve many areas throughout Hampden County and Western MA including:
- West Springfield
- And more towns within the Greater Springfield area!
We have worked with thousands of families to ensure that elderly loved ones receive proper care and assistance. If your loved one suffers from Alzheimer’s or dementia or could be showing early warning signs, call Visiting Angels of West Springfield today at (413) 733-6900 or email email@example.com. We can guide you in the right direction.