How Transitional Care in West Springfield MA Reduces Hospital Readmissions
Ready-Set-Go Home with Transitional Care
If you have an elderly parent or loved one who has been admitted to the hospital due to illness, injury, or a new diagnosis, you know how anxious they can be to return back home. While many families are focused on discharge, they are not always aware of the frequency of hospital readmission after returning home. Return hospital visits are not uncommon during the first 30 days after discharge and occur in nearly 1 out of 5 cases involving Medicare recipients.
Thankfully, assistance is available to help your loved one avoid the expense and frustration of hospital readmission. Transitional care from Visiting Angels® West Springfield MA aids seniors and disabled adults upon discharge. Our non-medical assistance at home provides many tools and resources to help your loved one manage their recovery. Transitional care providers from Visiting Angels West Springfield MA are experienced in caring for seniors at home and can support your loved one during their recovery.
Common Causes of Hospital Readmissions
While discharge is often viewed as the final step in recovery, continued healing at home is often necessary for your loved one to feel back to normal. The importance of following discharge instructions from your loved one's physician is significant. Transitional care from Visiting Angels West Springfield MA can support your loved one during extended recovery.
Some common causes of hospital readmissions for seniors include:
- Lack of timely follow-up with physicians or therapists
- Missing medication doses or taking improperly
- Inability to follow a physician prescribed meal plan
- Trouble with mobility or increased fall risk
- Exhaustion from disrupted sleep while inpatient
- Difficulty managing a new diagnosis
Customized transitional care from Visiting Angels West Springfield MA can address these issues and provide ongoing assistance upon hospital discharge.
How Visiting Angels West Springfield MA Can Help
Visiting Angels West Springfield MA can help your loved one by providing transitional care services both in and out of the hospital. Some common ways we help include:
- Providing a copy of our discharge planning guide
- Coordinating care with the hospital discharge planner
- Preparing the home for your loved one's return
- Arranging for medical equipment, food, and medication delivery
- Providing medication reminders and monitoring
- Help preparing dietary conscious meals
- Mobility assistance such as walking and fall prevention
- Aid with personal tasks such as toileting, bathing, & dressing
Call Visiting Angels West Springfield MA today to learn more about our non-medical transitional care.
Serving Springfield, Westfield and Hampden County, MA
Visiting Angels WEST SPRINGFIELD, MA33 Westfield St. #1
West Springfield, MA 01089