Choosing the Right Home Care Provider
We get it, looking for a home care provider is stressful. At Visiting Angels, we do everything we can to put potential clients at ease, but the fact remains: you need to hire a home care provider you and your loved one can trust. It’s our responsibility to make sure that happens.
Asking the right questions is essential when searching for a home care provider. Depending on the provider in question, you might only be given a chance to interview a sales rep. At Visiting Angels, we make sure you get the chance to interview both our management team and our caregivers. We believe you should have the chance to evaluate our company as a whole along with the staff who will administer your loved one’s care.
We strongly encourage potential clients to ask any questions they need to feel secure with their choice of caregiver or caregiving team. Whether you’re interviewing us, one of our staff, or another home care provider, we suggest vetting your provider in the following areas. We’ve developed this list in keeping with recommendations from the NAHC and Mayo Clinic.
• Does this caregiver or company seem caring and compassionate?
• How do they speak about previous clients?
• Do they make the care recipient and/or the care recipient’s family a part of the home care planning process?
• How long has this company and/or caregiver been providing professional home care?
• Are they able to provide references?
• How have they handled previous home care challenges?
• Are they able to offer everything you or your loved one requires from a caregiver?
• Does this provider have literature or materials available explaining their services in detail?
• Do they have services in place for emergencies or after hours concerns?
• How does this provider ensure patient confidentiality?
• Do they supply literature or materials that fully explain their fees and payment requirements?
• Are all services and financial terms put in writing prior to starting care?
At Visiting Angels, we take pride in the lengths we take to meet our client’s expectations and answer their concerns. Our staff and our caregivers will be open with you from day one, ready to answer your every question.
Concerned about your caregiver’s experience? At Visiting Angels, we prefer to hire home care providers with previous experience, a commitment to the community, and who are passionate about providing respectful, dignified care.
Wondering how we handle emergencies? Visiting Angels locations have staff available 24-7 and an after hours line for you to call for urgent situations.
Worried you might forget to ask us something during the interview process? We make sure all Visiting Angels policies and information are easily accessible for our clients and interested parties.
By getting the answers you need about your home care services, you can be sure you’ve picked a home care provider whom your family can trust and depend on.