Senior Care in Portland
Top Safety Tips For Seniors
If you're worried about a family member living alone, what can you do? At Visiting Angels® Portland, we offer dedicated senior care to those living in the area.
We know how important it is to prevent falls, slips, and other potentially life-threatening injuries for seniors. In addition to home care, our team can also offer tips for fall prevention and other safety measures. Let's go over some top tips.
How To Improve Safety Around The House
Increasing safety and accessibility around the home doesn't have to be costly or overly time-consuming. A few simple upgrades in key areas of the home can help your loved one move around much more comfortably. For senior safety, here's what Visiting Angels Portland recommends:
- The entrance. The entranceway can become more precarious as seniors get older. Try to remove as much clutter from the floor. Put shoes on a shelf, and add an entrance table for depositing mail and keys. If there's room, it may help to add a chair, so your loved one can sit while they're putting on shoes or coats.
- The bedroom. Make sure the bed isn't too high or too low—their feet shouldn't dangle when sitting, but their knees shouldn't reach past their hips, either. You can get a taller or shorter bedframe if needed. If possible, clear out any clothes or items they no longer use. Think about getting a phone for the bedside table, if they ever need to reach someone urgently.
- The bathroom. The bathroom is where many slips and falls occur. Here, it may help to get an elevated toilet seat. Grab bars are also very helpful near the toilet and tub. If you're worried about mobility, consider getting a shower seat. At this stage, it may be useful to consider senior care, which can help with daily grooming tasks.
- The kitchen. Kitchens involve a surprising amount of straining, lifting, and bending. Make sure there's a non-slip mat by the sink. Incorporate pull-out storage. Once again, you'll want to clear out any items they no longer use, so essential ingredients and dishware are within easy reach.
Schedule Dedicated Senior Care in Portland
Our senior care agency always makes it seamless to set up the support you need. We work with families across the region, including:
- And throughout the surrounding area
Get senior care that helps your loved one live independently. To learn more, set up a consultation with Visiting Angels Portland.
Serving Portland, West Portland, Southeast Portland, & Beaverton
Visiting Angels PORTLAND, OREGON2365 SW Cedar Hills Blvd
Portland, OR 97225