Visiting Angels of Jersey City, NJ Provides Elder Assistance to Help Seniors Stay Connected with Technology
Social Care: Helping Seniors Embrace Technology
Providing a holistic approach to an individual’s care is very important to us at Visiting Angels of Jersey City. Our holistic approach includes care for our clients inside and outside of their home. We provide elder assistance holistically with our social care program; with this program we use platforms like Facebook, Skype, FaceTime, etc., to keep our clients active and engaged in their families and community. Keeping our seniors engage in their communities as well as with their families has shown to truly benefit them emotionally and physically.
Digital Tools Help Seniors Connect to Family and Friends
It isn’t always easy for our seniors to begin using social media platforms; grasping new technology is hard for most of our clients. This is because we also have seniors who are against using social media and other technology. Our caregivers work hard to teach our elder clients the benefit from using these platforms to be connected to their loved ones and friends. By providing elder assistance we can make adopting a digital social media life easier. Recent studies have shown the following emotional and mental benefits digital tools can have on the elderly:
- Surfing the internet can reduce depression in Seniors by 20%. *
- A University of Arizona study finds seniors who use Facebook showed a 25%improvement in mental “updating” skills - essentially improving their working memory.
- Another study shows seniors who visit social networking sites like Facebook have a positive emotional experience when measured by breathing rates, brain stimulation and pupil dilation. **
Helping Seniors Stay Engaged Via Technology
The Visiting Angels' Social Care Program provides elder assistance by teaching seniors to:
- Use a cell phone
- Text, send e-mail, Skype, or use FaceTime
- Create a Facebook page/account and interact with family and friends
- Log in, shop online or research information on a search engine
* Washington, D.C. based Phoenix Center
** Journal Cyberpsychology, Behavior, and Social Networking
Serving Jersey City, Bayonne and the Surrounding Area
Visiting Angels JERSEY CITY, NJ366 Broadway
Bayonne, NJ 07002
Each Visiting Angels agency is a franchise that is independently owned and operated.The Franchisor, Living Assistance Services Inc., does not control or manage the day to day business operations of any Visiting Angels franchised agency.