When you’re searching for home care for your loved one, it can be a difficult and emotional chapter. You want to make sure your loved one is comfortable, happy and safe in his or her own home. This guide will help you get there — clarifying each step of the process so you can make an informed decision that’s best for you and your loved one.
Assess how urgent the situation is for your loved one. Has your loved one:
- Recently been discharged from the hospital?
- Experienced physical limitations?
- Participated in physical rehabilitation recently?
- Experienced lapses in memory?
- Been unable to prepare meals?
- Been unable to maintain an independent lifestyle?
- Been unable to make it through the night unattended?
- Posed a threat to his or her own well-being?
Consider what help your loved one needs. Does your loved one need assistance with:
- Light housekeeping
- Grocery shopping
- Meal preparation
- Medication reminders
- Personal hygiene
Seek an in-home consultation with a home care professional.
- Interview potential caregiver(s) in your loved one’s home.
- Ask questions about personality, experience and commitment.
Select the right caregiver for your loved one.
- You and your loved one should trust the caregiver and see the potential for a relationship to develop.
Find any financial help that might be available
- Life insurance
- Long-term insurance
- State home care assistance
- Veterans benefits
Create a customized care plan with your caregiver.
- A care plan should be personalized to your loved one’s needs, personality and preferences.
- It should be flexible, with room to adjust as necessary.
Call Visiting Angels at (800) 365-4189 for a FREE consultation.