Community Resources Bulletins
Each month we feature New Jersey elder care issues important to seniors and to those who care for them.
Find the latest news on senior home care, senior resources, and other information. Don’t miss an issue!
Community Resource Bulletins
- January: Fighting Post-Holiday Depression. We all might feel a little blue after the holidays. It's important to monitor your older loved one's mental health, especially during this time, as depression may set in without anyone realizing it. Read more about combating depression in seniors.
- January: Emergency Preparedness. Seniors (whether living independently at home, or in an assisted living facility) should have an emergency plan and an emergency kit.
- February: American Heart Month. Heart disease is the leading cause of death in the U.S. The more risk factors you have, the greater your chance of developing coronary heart disease. Read more about American Heart Month.
- March: National Kidney Month. Kidney disease is the 9th leading cause of deaths in the U.S.
- March: Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month. Colorectal cancer is the second leading cause of cancer deaths in the U.S. Screening can dramatically reduce the cancer risk.
- March: National Nutrition Month. Nutrition is especially important for older adults. A nutritious diet leads to happier, healthier people who can live longer and stronger! Read more on National Nutrition Month.
- April: Parkinson's Disease Awareness Month. Over 60,000 people are diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease in the U.S. each year.
- April: Cancer Control Month. Maintaining a healthy lifestyle and promoting cancer screening are the goals of Cancer Control Month in order to prevent cancer
- May: Older Americans Month:Visiting Angels' promotes Older Americans Month: Engage at Every Age!
- May: Older Americans Month: Age Out Loud. Older adults live every day with boldness, passion, and confidence—all while inspiring people of all ages
- May: Older Americans Month: Blaze A Trail Visiting Angels celebrates New Jersey’s seniors! Older Americans Month is an annual opportunity to let older adults in our community know how much we appreciate them.
- May: Older Americans Month: Safe Today, Healthy Tomorrow. Visiting Angels celebrates New Jersey’s seniors! Older Americans Month is an annual opportunity to let older adults in our community know how much we appreciate them.
- June: National Safety Month: Summer Safety for Seniors. Warmer weather poses unique safety concerns. Poison hazards, fireworks safety, fall prevention, and home safety tips are covered in this month's bulletin
- June: National Safety Month: Personal Safety for Seniors Tips to protect yourself, your property, and your finances
- June: National Safety Month: Senior Falls. Poisons, fire, weather, cooking, automobile/driver, medications, etc. are safety issues we must all be aware of. However, for older adults, and those in NJ elder care, one of the biggest safety concerns is falling.
- July: Sandwich Generation Month. Middle-aged adults caught between caring for their aging parents and supporting their young or grown children
- July: UV Safety Month/Protect Older Adults from Sun & Heat. July is a great month to be outdoors in the sun, but also presents certain dangers.
- August: Psoriasis Awareness Month. 7.5 million people in the U.S. have this non-contageous incurable condition.
- August: Cataract/Vision Awareness Month. Cataracts are common—about 20.5 million Americans age 40 and older have cataracts, and more than half of all Americans develop cataracts by age 80. Cataracts are the leading cause of blindness worldwide, but very treatable through surgery.
- August: National Immunization Awareness Month. Visiting Angels is proud to participate in National Immunization Awareness Month as a way to remind older adults of the importance of becoming immunized.
- September: Healthy Aging Month. Encouraging and inspiring people 50+ to improve their physical, mental, social, and financial health.
- October: Long-Term Care Planning Month. Don't wait for a crisis to happen before you develop your plan for long-term care. Many don’t realize that health insurance, Medicare, and disability coverages do not pay for most long-term care services.
- November: Honoring Our Veterans: Visiting Angels humbly thanks all veterans who have served in times of war and in times of peace. Our Veterans Program helps veterans obtain home care benefits quickly and with no out of pocket charge.
- November: Alzheimer's Awareness Month. Most everyone knows a loved one of someone who suffers from Alzheimer’s disease or some other form of dementia. Our hearts go out to them because it’s a progressive, unpredictable disease.
- December: Stress-Free Holidays for Seniors and Family Caregivers. For seniors and their family caregivers, the added stress may sap the holiday cheer right out of them. These tips can help.
- Celebrating Senior Independence
- May 2014: Older Americans Month Safe Today, Healthy Tomorrow
- Senior Volunteerism in Tribute to 9/11 Victims, Survivors and Those Who Served
Back to The Resource Library
Serving Mercer & Burlington Counties in New Jersey
Visiting Angels Mercer & Burlington Counties, NJ140 Darrah Ln
Lawrenceville, NJ 08648
200 Campbell Dr #105C
Willingboro NJ 08046
Each Visiting Angels agency is a franchise that is independently owned and operated. The Franchisor, Living Assistance Services Inc., does not control or manage the day to day business operations of any Visiting Angels franchised agency.