Veterans Program in NJ | Aid & Attendance Benefit
Visiting Angels of Mercer & Burlington Counties provides qualifying New Jersey veterans and their widowed spouses with home care at no personal cost—well before they are awarded the Aid & Attendance home care benefit from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
Qualifying veterans and their widowed spouses may be eligible for the Aid & Attendance benefit from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). Once the veteran’s application for this benefit has been approved, a veteran can receive home care services funded by the U.S. government. However, it may take between 8-12 months for the application to be approved, thus delaying much-needed care.
Visiting Angels Provides Home Care Services to Qualifying Veterans Faster—At No Personal Cost or Risk
Visiting Angels offers a Veterans Program in which we will start servicing qualifying veterans or their surviving spouses shortly after submitting their applications for Aid & Attendance benefit program—before VA approval. If the VA eventually approves the veteran’s application, the government will pay for the home care services that Visiting Angels provided during the 8-12 month processing period. However, if the VA rejects a veteran’s application, neither the veteran nor the veteran’s family will be charged for any home care assistance provided under Visiting Angels’ Veterans Program.
The Veteran’s Aid & Attendance Benefit Program: Who May QualifyA veteran:
- Has a non-service related disability
- Is unable to perform at least two activities of daily living
- Must have served ninety consecutive days active duty, with at least one day during wartime
- Must also hold an Honorable Discharge status
- Married to the veteran at the time of the veteran’s death and never remarried
- Married to the veteran for at least one year or have had children by the veteran
- Living with the veteran at the time of the veteran’s death, unless the separation was due to medical or military reasons
- Total combined household assets (excludes the primary home and car) cannot exceed a cap that is based on the age of the veteran or his widowed spouse and ranges from $10,000 to $40,000.
- Veterans must satisfy the Veterans Affairs’ Low Income provision. Their net monthly income, after deducting certain medical expenses, must be low enough to meet the VA’s criteria
- Certification by the individual’s doctor stating they are in need of assistance due to an existing medical condition (acute or chronic)
Estimated Benefits Available
- Veteran with Spouse: May cover up to 75 hours each month for home care services
- Veteran, Single: May cover up to 65 hours each month
- Veteran’s Widowed Spouse: May receive up to 40 hours each month
These are guidelines and may vary. For full details, visit the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs website at www.va.gov.
Serving Mercer & Burlington Counties in New Jersey
Visiting Angels Mercer & Burlington Counties, NJ140 Darrah Ln
Lawrenceville, NJ 08648
200 Campbell Dr #105C
Willingboro NJ 08046
Each Visiting Angels agency is a franchise that is independently owned and operated. The Franchisor, Living Assistance Services Inc., does not control or manage the day to day business operations of any Visiting Angels franchised agency.