How Transitional Care in Waldorf Reduces Hospital Readmissions
Ready-Set-Go Home with Transitional Care
If your parent or loved one has recently been admitted to the hospital, you want to make sure that they avoid being readmitted once they’re allowed to go home. While no one wants to stay in the hospital longer than they need to, according to the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, nearly one in five seniors released from the hospital are readmitted within 30 days. At Visiting Angels® Southern Maryland, our transitional care services aim to provide Waldorf-area seniors with comprehensive tools and resources that help them avoid readmission following a hospital visit.
What Causes Hospital Readmissions in Waldorf
Our transitional care services help seniors in Charlotte Hall, Waldorf, La Plata, Lusby, Accokeek, and the surrounding areas avoid hospital readmissions by addressing the specific reasons why they usually occur. Some of the common causes for hospital readmission include:
- Not taking the right medication
- Difficulties managing a disease or illness at home
- Lack of follow-through with discharge instructions
- Exhaustion after a disrupted eating and sleeping schedule at the hospital
- Missing follow-up appointments
How Our Transitional Care Services Help Seniors in Waldorf
At Visiting Angels Southern Maryland, we take a three-prong approach to providing seniors in the Waldorf, MD area with transitional care that helps prevent hospital readmission. This approach includes:
- At the Hospital. At your request, we will visit your loved one at the hospital and provide them with our “Ready – Set – Go Home” guide. This discharge planning guide will prompt your loved one to ask important questions about issues related to readmission, including symptoms to report, dietary and medication needs, and times and dates of follow-up appointments.
- At Home. When providing transitional care to your loved one in the Waldorf area, our compassionate caregivers at Visiting Angels Southern Maryland will act as the “eyes and ears” in your loved one’s home. They’ll be able to provide insight into your loved one’s habits and lifestyle, and let supervisors or case managers know reasons why your loved one might be missing appointments or not taking the right medication.
- At Our Office. Behind the scenes, our transitional care services help seniors in the Waldorf, MD area by accompanying our clients to appointments, providing medication reminders, arranging medication and food deliveries, and more.
To help reduce the risk of hospital readmission for your loved one in the Waldorf area, call Visiting Angels Southern Maryland today to learn more about our transitional care services.
Serving the Tri-County Area of Charles, St. Mary's and Calvert Counties Maryland
Visiting Angels SOUTHERN MARYLAND50 Post Office Rd #201
Waldorf, MD 20602