Frequently Asked Questions About Alzheimer's Disease in Westerville, OH and Surrounding Areas
Alzheimer’s Care from Home Health Aides in Westerville, Gahanna, Worthington, Columbus and Surrounding Areas in Ohio
If you have a loved one who has recently been diagnosed, you likely have many questions. This FAQ gives you answers from home health aides at Visiting Angels of Westerville. Learn more about Alzheimer’s below.
What are the risk factors for Alzheimer’s?
While scientists are still researching the exact cause of Alzheimer’s disease, researchers have identified several risk factors.
The three biggest risk factors are as follows:
- Advanced Age. In most cases, symptoms of Alzheimer’s disease begin after the age of 65.
- Genetics. Individuals with a family history of Alzheimer’s are at higher risk of developing the disease themselves.
- Heart Health. Poor cardiovascular health increases one’s risk. Individuals with a history of hypertension, high cholesterol, diabetes, stroke, or cardiac arrest will be at higher risk.
Other risk factors include
- Sleeping problems
- High stress levels
- Heavy smoking
- Heavy drinking
- History of head trauma
- Exposure to air pollution
What are the symptoms of Alzheimer’s?
Most symptoms, particularly early signs of Alzheimer’s, are expressed through a person’s speech, thought patterns and behaviors.
The most prominent symptoms include:
- Short-term and long-term memory loss
- Trouble solving simple problems
- Uncommon struggles with day-to-day activities
- Words forgotten or mixed up
- Items lost more frequently
- Confusion about current time or place
- Confusion about the names and identities of people
- Irrational, irritable, or depressed behaviors and actions
What are my loved one’s options for Alzheimer’s care in Westerville and surrounding areas?
One option for Alzheimer's care is moving your loved one into a nursing care facility. However, relocating to new and unfamiliar surroundings can be traumatic for individuals with Alzheimer’s, and it is typically considered a last resort.
Another option is to hire a professional home health aide, such as those offered by Visiting Angels of Westerville. Our in-home Alzheimer's care services help individuals age in place while managing symptoms of Alzheimer’s disease.
Alzheimer’s care is distinct from traditional in-home care, since individuals with Alzheimer’s have distinct care needs from other seniors. That's why our Alzheimer's care services are designed around the unique challenges of the disease, as well as the recipient’s individual care needs. Care is provided in the comfort of the recipient’s home, and services are performed by caregivers who are uniquely qualified to care for individuals living with Alzheimer’s.
Learn how our home health aides assist seniors living with Alzheimer's today, or call 614-810-8791 to schedule a free in-home consultation.
Serving Westerville, Powell, Gahanna, Worthington, and throughout Northeast Franklin and Delaware Counties
Visiting Angels WESTERVILLE, OH100 Dorchester Square #101
Westerville, OH 43081