Our Living Assistance Services Feature Fall Prevention Tactics in Gilford, NH and the Surrounding Area
Visiting Angels' Living Assistance Services Promotes Fall Prevention in Gilford, Laconia, Belmont, and Nearby Towns
A serious fall can significantly change an elderly person’s quality of life. In addition to causing a physical injury, falls can impact a person emotionally and socially. The fear of falling can cause older adults to decline social invitations and miss important family functions—they might avoid leaving the house altogether. Seclusion can lead to feelings of anxiety, loneliness, and social isolation.
By examining risk factors and addressing hazards in the home, some falls can be prevented. Although, health issues and risky behavior can also play a role. At Visiting Angels of Gilford, our living assistance services can help your loved one avoid dangerous falls, because the statistics tell a grim story.
- Every year, one in three older adults fall; one in five will sustain a serious injury such as a broken hip, fracture, concussion, or other injury
- Twenty percent of older adults die within a year of a fall
- Those who fall once are more likely to fall again
- Over 800,000 people are hospitalized due to falls each year
- Recovery from injuries such as hip fractures can take up to a year in a long-term care facility; forty percent of those who fall are not able to go home again
- Fifty-five percent of falls occur inside the home; twenty-three percent happen outside, but near the home
Risk Factors to Address
Falls are caused by one or more risk factors—conditions that increase a person’s chance of falling. Risk factors may be internal such as weakness, shuffling, loss of balance, reduced flexibility, poor eyesight, arthritis, multiple medications, and dehydration. Or, risk factors can be external, occurring in the home environment. For example, clutter, uneven floor surfaces, poor lighting, wet floors, or the lack of grab bars in the bathroom can become hazards.
Identifying and addressing risk factors promptly can prevent many falls. Although, behaviors such as drinking alcohol and standing on a chair to reach an object can also increase the likelihood of falls. These risky behaviors can be addressed through gentle reminders and education.
Fall Prevention Strategies
Visiting Angels of Gilford’s living assistance services can help prevent dangerous falls. Elderly fall prevention continues to be a challenge. Using a cane or walker may help. Our senior care providers educate older adults and their families about fall prevention to maintain their health and well-being. To learn more, download your FREE Safe and Steady Fall Prevention Resource Guide or contact our office to learn more about our living assistance services.
General recommendations include:
- Remove clutter
- Improve lighting
- Add lighting and handrails to stairways
- Install grab bars and keep floors dry in bathrooms
- Use assistive devices like canes and walkers
- Place a phone in an easy-access area
- Consider a personal medical alert system
- Keep frequently used items within reach
Receive Your FREE, In-Home Fall Risk Assessment
Visiting Angels of Gilford offers a complimentary fall prevention assessment with all our in-home consultations. If you would like to get started with our living assistance services, schedule your free, in-home consultation with one of our care coordinators by contacting our office.
Serving Lakes Region of New Hampshire and Surrounding Towns
Visiting Angels LAKES REGION, NEW HAMPSHIRE401 Gilford Ave STE 208
Gilford, NH 03249
Phone: (603) 215-7103
Each Visiting Angels agency is a franchise that is independently owned and operated. The Franchisor, Living Assistance Services Inc., does not control or manage the day to day business operations of any Visiting Angels franchised agency.