Fall Prevention Through Personalized At-Home Senior Care Services from Visiting Angels Richmond
A serious fall can significantly change an elderly person’s quality of life. In addition to causing a physical injury, falls can impact a person emotionally and socially. The fear of falling can cause older adults to decline social invitations and miss important family functions—they might avoid leaving the house altogether. Seclusion can lead to feelings of anxiety, loneliness and social isolation.
By examining risk factors and addressing hazards in the home, some falls can be prevented. Although, chronic health issues and risky behavior can also play a role. At Visiting Angels Richmond, our at-home senior care services can help seniors in Richmond, Mechanicsville, Glen Allen, Short Pump and throughout Henrico and Hanover Counties avoid dangerous falls, because the statistics tell a grim story.
How Can Falls Impact Seniors in the Richmond Area?
- Every year, one in three older adults fall; one in five will sustain a serious injury such as a broken hip, fracture, concussion or other injury.
- Twenty percent of older adults die within a year of a fall.
- Those who fall once are more likely to fall again.
- Over 800,000 people are hospitalized due to falls each year.
- Recovery from injuries such as hip fractures can take up to a year in a long-term care facility; forty percent of those who fall are not able to go home again.
- Fifty-five percent of falls occur inside the home; twenty-three percent happen outside, but near the home.
Risk Factors to Address
Falls are caused by one or more risk factors—conditions that increase a person’s chance of falling. Risk factors may be internal such as weakness, shuffling, loss of balance, reduced flexibility, poor eyesight, arthritis, multiple medications and dehydration. Cognitive issues such as dementia can also make seniors susceptible to falls.
Or, risk factors can be external, occurring in the home environment. For example, clutter, uneven floor surfaces, poor lighting, wet floors or the lack of grab bars in the bathroom can become hazards.
Identifying and addressing risk factors promptly can prevent many falls. Although, behaviors such as overuse of alcohol and standing on a chair to reach a high object can also increase the likelihood of falls; these risky behaviors can be addressed through gentle reminders and education. At Visiting Angels Richmond, our at-home senior care services can help prevent dangerous falls.
How Can At-Home Senior Care Services from Visiting Angels Richmond Help?
Elderly fall prevention continues to be a challenge. Using a cane or walker may help. Our at-home senior care providers educate older adults and their families about fall prevention to maintain their health and well-being.
Some of the ways family members or our professional at-home senior caregivers can help seniors avoid falls include:
- Remove clutter with light housekeeping services
- Improve lighting
- Add lighting and handrails to stairways
- Install grab bars and keep floors dry in bathrooms
- Use assistive devices like canes and walkers
- Place a phone in an easy-access area
- Consider a personal medical alert system
- Keep frequently used items within reach
- Remind seniors to take medications on time and watch out for potential side effects that can impact their balance and mobility
- Help seniors safely get from room to room and use the stairs
- Helping seniors get in and out of the bathtub to avoid slipping on wet surfaces
- Preparing meals that help seniors get the nutrients they need and keep up their strength
At Visiting Angels Richmond, our free in-home consultations include a fall prevention assessment. Contact us today to learn more!
Serving communities in the Metro Richmond Area including Richmond, Mechanicsville, Glen Allen, Short Pump, Henrico & Hanover Counties
Visiting Angels RICHMOND, VA4914 Radford Ave #211
Richmond, VA 23230