In Home Care Providers Assist with Fall Prevention in Tysons, Vienna, VA, and the Surrounding Area
Visiting Angels’ In Home Care Providers Offer Essential Fall Prevention for Seniors in Tysons, Vienna, Fairfax, and Surrounding Areas
A serious fall can significantly change an elderly person’s quality of life. In addition to causing a physical injury, falls can impact a person emotionally and socially. The fear of falling can cause older adults to decline social invitations and miss important family functions—they might avoid leaving the house all together. This behavior can lead to feelings of anxiety, loneliness, and social isolation. But, by examining risk factors and addressing hazards in the home, some falls can be prevented. At Visiting Angels of Vienna, we have professional in home care providers that can help your loved one avoid dangerous and costly falls.
Let us take a look at some statistics that revolve around senior related falls:
- Every year, one in three older adults fall; one in five will sustain a serious injury such as a broken hip, fracture, or concussion.
- Twenty percent of older adults die within a year of a fall.
- Those who fall once are more likely to fall again.
- Over 800,000 people are hospitalized due to falls each year.
- Recovery from injuries such as hip fractures can take up to a year in a long-term care facility; forty percent of those who fall are not able to go home again.
- Fifty-five percent of falls occur inside the home; twenty-three percent happen outside, but near the home.
Risk Factors to Address
Falls are caused by one or more risk factors—conditions or circumstances that increase a person’s chance of falling. Risk factors may be internal, such as:
- Loss of balance
- Reduced flexibility
- Poor eyesight
- Multiple medications
Or risk factors can be from external factors like:
- Clutter within the home
- Uneven floor surfaces
- Poor lighting
- Wet floors
- Lack of grab bars in the bathroom
Identifying and addressing risk factors promptly can prevent many potential falls. Although, behaviors such as overuse of alcohol and standing on a chair to reach a high object can also increase the likelihood of falls; these risky behaviors can be addressed through education. Visiting Angels of Vienna’s in home care providers can help prevent dangerous falls through reducing fall risks and educating the entire family.
Fall Prevention Strategies
Elderly fall prevention continues to be a considerable challenge, especially for those who do not use a cane or walker. Our in home care providers educate older adults and their families about fall prevention to maintain their health and well-being. To learn more, download your free Safe and Steady Fall Prevention Resource Guide. A few general recommendations mentioned in the guide:
- Remove clutter
- Improve lighting
- Install grab bars and keep floors dry in bathrooms
- Use assistive devices like canes and walkers
- Place a phone in an easy-access area
- Consider a personal medical alert system
- Keep frequently used items within reach
Schedule Your Free, In-Home Assessment
Visiting Angels of Vienna offers a free fall prevention assessment with our no-cost, in-home consultations. If you are in Tysons, Vienna, Fairfax, Falls Church, or the surrounding area, call us at 703-686-8509 to schedule yours today. Our in home care providers look forward to helping keep your loved one safe!
Serving Tysons, Vienna, Falls Church, Fairfax County, VA, and the Surrounding Area
Visiting Angels VIENNA, VIRGINIA8221 Old Courthouse Rd #208
Vienna, VA 22182